Unable to launch Origin

by lukefed

Original Post

Unable to launch Origin

★★ Novice

Whenever I try and launch Origin, it doesn't open up. All it does, is a small, black screen pops up, which after a few seconds, just turns into a blank white screen, the same size of a login window. Attached is a photo showing what it looks like. Photo just shows the window and not my full desktop due to file size limitations.  I've tried multiple things to fix it, such as clearing caches, uninstalling and then reinstalling Origin, and running as administrator.

One thing I did notice, was that in the compatibility launch mode, it seems to have defaulted to Windows 8. Unfortunately, there's no option to launch for Windows 10. I tried Windows 7, but same issue still. I've never checked this before, so I'm not sure if the default being Windows 8 is standard or not. 

I'm not sure what has caused it to stop working, as it was working fine a few days ago. 

Screenshot (1).png

Any help would be appreciated. 

Message 1 of 10 (820 Views)

Re: Unable to launch Origin

★★★★ Guide

Unchecking run in compatibility mode will make any program / app run in your current operating system.

Message 2 of 10 (797 Views)

★★ Novice

Ok. I wasn't sure because when I would uncheck it, the box would change to Windows 8. Just wasn't sure if that meant that was the default or not.

Message 3 of 10 (784 Views)

★★ Novice

Still unable to launch Origin. Anyone know how to fix it?

Message 4 of 10 (743 Views)

Community Manager

@lukefed Hey, can you try the steps in this thread? You've tried some of it already, but hopefully an extra step like the clean boot helps: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Origin-client-and-webpage-white-screen/td-p/5591617

Thanks, please let us know how you get on. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 5 of 10 (712 Views)

★★ Novice

Tried the steps in the other post, still not working. I might just do a complete Windows reinstall, as I have been having other issues with other programs as well. After the Windows install, I'll try Origin again and post my results.

Message 6 of 10 (702 Views)

Community Manager

If you haven't done so already, you can try creating a new profile as a test, it's a less involved process and might help. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/14039/windows-7-fix-corrupted-user-profile

In any case, thank you for the update and please let us know how you get on. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 7 of 10 (675 Views)

★★ Novice

So I ended up doing the full PC Reset, and still having the same issue.  Pretty sure that means its a hardware issue, instead of software. Frown

Message 8 of 10 (656 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Try this just to rule it out.

Open your anti-virus program and check the history and see if any instances occurred that match the time and name in this case Origin. If there is a match go to the quarantine folder and restore the file / s that match and then exclude the file / s that match the time and name from future scans.

If the anti-virus is causing the issue there will be mutable instances due to repeated attempts to get it to work, when restoring the files one by one you should start getting a duplicate file message, at that point you will have restored all the needed files to fix the issue.

Restart Origin to see if it works

If it doesn't help reseat all memory modules, cables and cards if any. Let us know what happens please.

Message 9 of 10 (638 Views)

★★ Novice

Checked anit-virus, and no quarantined files (using Microsoft Security Essentials). Also, I have swapped memory card locations, as well as SATA cords and plugins, to no avail. 

Message 10 of 10 (604 Views)