Trying to update my game and origin keeps telling me to choose a new folder

by misspopthing

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Trying to update my game and origin keeps telling me to choose a new folder

★ Novice

Trying to update my game and origin keeps telling me to choose a new folder. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling origin and it still won't work. I wasn't having this issue until origin updated the other day.

Message 1 of 24 (6,084 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Trying to update my game and origin keeps telling me to choose a new folder

★★★★ Novice
I was chatting with the tech support all night and I ended up doing everything they asked me for, removing app data, program data and rebooted pc in clean mode and reinstalled Origin on a legacy mode as they claimed.
In the end, what solved my problem was to change the folder to save in left it in for a few minutes, then swapping back to default.
At this point, my Sims tried to update but were stuck on queued.
After that I refreshed game library and Sims started the update on it's own. This is what made my client work anyway, but I hope you will find a less fiddly fix.

View in thread

Message 5 of 24 (6,581 Views)

All Replies

★ Guide

I am having the exact same problem.  I haven't played for a few days. I wanted to test out the new Sims 4 patch today. When I first clicked on the Origin shortcut it downloaded the latest Origin update. When Origin loaded I had the usual notice on my Sims game that an update was available. I clicked on update and I got the message "Folder does not exist". I tried to load my game from my usual desktop shortcut but it switched to Origin and gave me the same message. I can't repair the game either as I get the same message. I restarted Origin a few times, unstalled and reinstalled it,  and restarted my pc as well but I still got the same message. Everything was fine when I last played 2 or 3 days ago. I don't have any mods or cc in my game. I also can't load Sims 2.  It tells me it is not installed on the system.  The Sims 3 and another game I tried both worked.

Message 2 of 24 (6,048 Views)

★ Novice

I think that there is an issue with the new version of Origin. I had to download an old version of Origin and turn off automatic updates to get it to work. Hopefully they will fix Origin so that people won't keep having this problem.

Message 3 of 24 (6,029 Views)

★★★★ Novice
I have the exact same problem and I was so hyped about trying the new patch for Sims 4 and now I am unable to do so unless I re-install AND loosing 480 hours of the same file I've played so far in Sims. Not cool at all Frown
Message 4 of 24 (6,024 Views)

★★★★ Novice
I was chatting with the tech support all night and I ended up doing everything they asked me for, removing app data, program data and rebooted pc in clean mode and reinstalled Origin on a legacy mode as they claimed.
In the end, what solved my problem was to change the folder to save in left it in for a few minutes, then swapping back to default.
At this point, my Sims tried to update but were stuck on queued.
After that I refreshed game library and Sims started the update on it's own. This is what made my client work anyway, but I hope you will find a less fiddly fix.
Message 5 of 24 (6,582 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I'm having this same issue. I've tried repairing game as well as deleting all cache. This didn't help and still can't update or get to my game.

Message 6 of 24 (5,930 Views)

★★ Guide

Have any of you received a pop up window when trying to update? Like after you get the text that the folder doesn't exist, does another window appear and tries to direct you to pick another folder? Like from Window C drive or something? And does your origin, when you load it up, does it constantly take you directly to your application settings of your home screen? So, like if you click on your game library and then arrow over, it takes you to the application settings. When I keep closing and reopening origin or even when I keep trying to update it, it keeps taking me to the application setting instead of my game library where I can see all my games at. I was literally playing my sims family just yesterday. What the heck is going on.

Message 7 of 24 (5,918 Views)

★ Novice

I'm getting the exact same issue, thank god I'm not the only one.
I was ready to throw my computer at my husband and cry aha.

Has anyone worked out how to fix this yet? ive selected a new folder and it still wont do the stupid update.

Message 8 of 24 (5,902 Views)

Community Manager

Hey all, can you try clearing the Origin cache to see if it helps.

You can clear the Origin Cache by following the steps below:

1. Completely log out and close down Origin
  2. Hold down the Windows key and R
  3. Type in "%ProgramData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  4. Now open the Origin folder.
  5. Delete all the files and folders in the Origin folder, except for LocalContent (do not delete this one)
  6. Hold down the Windows key and R
  7. Type in "%AppData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  8. This will take you to a Roaming folder, which is located inside of AppData. Delete the Origin folder
  9. Click on the word "AppData" at the top of your window
  10. Open the Local folder here
  11. Delete the Origin folder listed here
  12. Restart your PC and log back into Origin

let me know how you get on. 

Darko.png
Message 9 of 24 (5,889 Views)

★★★ Newbie
It don't Work
Message 10 of 24 (5,871 Views)