Troubleshooting advice for 2042 issues

by The_Tibber

Original Post

Troubleshooting advice for 2042 issues

[ Edited ]
Champion

These problems will be external to BF but can affect the game in some way.

Some of these issues are Origin related, using the EA BETA app instead may also resolve Origin related issues. (Not for steam users)

Performance issues: (Clear cache, DDU, power cycle)

-Turn your system off completely and unplug it from the mains for 5 min then turn it back on again.

-This guide shows how to clear cache for various setups: https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

-Some players may use DDU without disconnecting from the internet or using safemode which fails to resolve their issues, please follow this guide: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/ddu-guide-tutorial

Input related issues like stuttering: (Remove igo64.dll)

-Ensure Origin is closed.

-Navigate to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin

-Delete the igo64.dll

-Then load the game to test.

Fail to launch game/ unable to save progress/ unable to connect online in game: (Admin mode, steam download cache, Disable one drive, verify game files)

-To enable amin mode navigate to the game files location (may differ between Steam, Origin, and EA app)

-Right click the Main BF exe and click properties.

-In the Compatibility tab tick the "Run this program as an administrator" box and apply.

-Clearing steam download cache can also help games which fail to launch: https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/6AD7-820D-8BE5-E51F

-To Disable or uninstall OneDrive see this guide. (update: users with VPNs installed may also experience networking issues.)

-To verify game files you can navigate to the game's title page and select its options to repair or verify game files, some game launchers maybe different.

Explanations/findings:

Origin can cause performance issues if the cache is buggy, it really doesnt need to affect the game like this but its what we found out.

Origin Overlay can cause input issues even when disabing the overlay in settings. (especially if you have virtual devices)

Some BF file settings are stored in user documents but sometimes access to those files can be restricted by a lack of permissions; or onedrive syncing with the same directory which leads to the game unable to launch, save settings or connect online.

12th Gen CPU's may cause game crashes at the time of writing this, please check your motherboard BIOS and windows for updates/workarounds.

Any other issues please make a post about your issue and mention that you have tried these solutions.

These soultions above are common for any Battlefield game since the causes are external to the game itself.

Message 1 of 40 (29,961 Views)

Re: Troubleshooting advice for 2042 issues

★★★ Pro
@The_Tibber Why no mention that Sundance causing game crash? I remember you respond in that thread.
Message 2 of 40 (27,624 Views)

Champion

These issues were found during the BETA and the sundance issue was found 3 days after this post was made. Standard smile

This advice is to help solve common issues, the sundance issue currently has no solution and we are waiting on a dev update to fix the issue.

Message 3 of 40 (27,489 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Simple tip. May be usefull for you too. I have enabled manually the Resizeable BAR for Battlefield 2042 using NVIDIA Profile Inspector. This gave me over 4% FPS increase and no more stuttering.

I am on NVIDIA 496.84 HF driver. Gear: RTX 3090 & 10900KF.

To do that, find the following flags and set values accordingly:

0x000F00BA : 0x00000001

0x000F00BB : 0x00000001

0x000F00FF : 0x0000000040000000

Of course, your rig has to support the reBAR (enabled in motherboard's BIOS, proper GPU vBIOS with this feature).

Message 4 of 40 (27,355 Views)

★ Guide

To prove the above. The same map, same atmospheric conditions (sunny).

reBar1.png

reBar2.png

reBar3.png

Message 5 of 40 (27,277 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Hi,

Another part of performance improvement tips. My CPU is i9-10900KF 10C/20T.

We all know that BF2042 is heavy CPU dependent. This may and will influence DLSS functionality - higher the upscaling is = the higher load on CPU is required, but unfortunatelly there is no space for additional workload... Therefore some of us does not see FPS improvements with DLSS enabled. I have noticed, that playing DLSS=balanced or DLSS=performance my GPU utilization is around 70-80% and CPU utilization is around 30-35%. Something is not right.

Root cause:

By default game is distributing CPU load per physical core count. So in my case I will have only 10 working threads, loaded up to 70%. The remaining 10 threads does nothing.

Fix:

Work needs to be distributed on all available threads. This cannot be achieved from the in-game's console. The only way to influence on that setting is through the User.cfg file (which does not exist by default). However settings that influence the CPU workload distribution are slightly different than it was in former Battlefields:

Create User.cfg in game's installation folder with the following content:

Thread.ProcessorCount <core count here>
Thread.MaxProcessorCount <thread count here>
Thread.MinFreeProcessorCount 0
Thread.JobThreadPriority 0

And now very important note: Thread.MaxProcessorCount cannot consume all available threads. If I set 20 game will crash on startup. Same for 19 and 18. The 17 is the max value I can use. In case of different processors you need to find the maximum possible value for your CPU.

It seems that this variable is not an exact thread count consumed by the game. For my processor, since Thread.MaxProcessorCount 14 load is distributed on ALL 20 threads. What does change from Thread.MaxProcessorCount 14-to-17 is the % of the max load possible for threads to consume.

Finally, my User.cfg looks like below:

Thread.ProcessorCount 10
Thread.MaxProcessorCount 17

And thanks to this I increased GPU load with DLSS, which means higher FPS in the situation when GPU was not maxed out earlier.

Here are some comparison screenshots.

Default settings, DLSS=Quality@3440x1440:

Default_DLSS_Quality.png

User.cfg settings, DLSS=Quality@3440x1440:

17T_DLSS_Quality.png

Default settings, DLSS=Performance@3440x1440:

Default_DLSS_Performance.png

User.cfg settings, DLSS=Performance@3440x1440:

17T_DLSS_Performance.png

In game's console Thread.* option changes does not take effect in runtime. You need to steer the variables from the User.cfg and start the game to see the difference! And don't get confused by seeing Thread.MaxProcessorCount 8 in game's console. It's the default value, which gets internally overwritten by the core count auto-detection made by game on startup. Unfortunately this auto-detection does not take hyper-threading into account...

Cheers!

UPDATE #1 :

Game's CPU core count auto detection works fine. Use "Render.DrawScreenInfo true" in game's console to see details. Core count is a total amount of the Threads. Good! No need to use Thread.ProcessorCount.

The "Job Threads" visible on that debug screen are an exact number of threads defined by Thread.MaxProcessorCount in User.cfg. By default it is 8 threads.

Message 6 of 40 (26,534 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks @7empePL 

I have problems with my Ryzen 3800x with 8 cores and 16 threads. 

After using a user.cfg the game runs better and not only 9 cores were used now all. 
Cpu usage in avarage raised from 61% to 85% in total
Stuttering is still existing but less often.

With the 3800x i used this config file:

Thread.ProcessorCount 8
Thread.MaxProcessorCount 16

Message 7 of 40 (26,416 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@graulesYou're welcome. Also, you can use in-game's "Render.DrawScreenInfo true" to see the job threads being used. By default it is 8 on the CPUs with 8+ threads.

Also, what I just found is that game's auto detection of the core count works fine, so we don't have to use Thread.ProcessorCount at all.

Thread.MaxProcessorCount <value> maps to a number of the job threads.

Message 8 of 40 (26,413 Views)

★★★ Novice

I just tested around a bit because the game is maxing out my i7 9700k quite heavily and it tested this with the following setup: 

Thread.ProcessorCount 8
Thread.MaxProcessorCount 6

Interesting enough that caused the FPS to be better and way more stable and the CPU wasn't maxing out either ...was around 92-96% usage which made a huge difference. But how can it be, that the game runs better on less threads :D 

Message 9 of 40 (26,335 Views)

★ Guide
@tril0dge The i7-9700k is 8c/8t and MaxProcessCount refers to job threads. BF2042 has not only computation threads, but there is main thread, at least one audio thread etc. So finding the best number of the game's computation threads and avoid context switching between software threads sharing the same CPU core is crucial for maxing out the FPS.
Message 10 of 40 (26,313 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help