Titanfall 2 runs smoothly on Med graphics but Apex struggles a lot on very low

by Nepph

Original Post

Titanfall 2 runs smoothly on Med graphics but Apex struggles a lot on very low

★★ Novice

Can someone help me or at least explain why can I run TF2 on med/high at avg 60 FPS (on some rare occasions it drops to 45 but not less).
But Apex runs at a maximum of 40FPS, avg 30-34 and drops very very often to 23-15FPS.

Is this a problem I can fix? Is there a logic in it which I don't know of? 

Message 1 of 8 (615 Views)

Re: Titanfall 2 runs smoothly on Med graphics but Apex struggles a lot on very l

Community Manager

Hey @Nepph

Did this just recently start happening? Were you able to run Apex Legends in the past with higher FPS? 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 2 of 8 (561 Views)

Re: Titanfall 2 runs smoothly on Med graphics but Apex struggles a lot on very l

★★ Novice

When the game was released, I was playing at 30FPS avg with very few drops, but a few weeks later the drops started to happen, people were complaining about it too so I thought it was something that needed to be fixed. A patch came out fixing it, but not for me. I then realized my HD was failing and stopped playing for a couple of months until I bought a new one. 
Returned after the optimization patches and the game was "ok" again, the drops weren't so frequent, but when World's Edge came out, it became unplayable, constantly lower than 25 FPS, only few areas would run at 30 or higher. Stopped playing again but this time for some months, until I decided to play Titanfall 2 and the game's benchmark set everything to medium/high (720p), didn't believe it but the game was running fine just not optimal, so I tweaked a little bit to have quality and performance and got 60 FPS with good quality.
I then decided to give Apex one more try, last I checked, both game's system requirements are similar. Tested most of the video settings and I realized it's not a GPU problem, I can set some things to medium losing 0 to 3FPS.
Could it be the CPU? But if it is, shouldn't TF2 have the same problem?
I tried a lot of things already, like the cfg file, reducing quality even further at the video.txt, turned down resolution to 1024x768, the game runs the same with or without them, only different thing, is that the maximum FPS gets higher, the minimum still 13 no matter what I do, it will run "fine" but with huge and frequent FPS drops.
The only reason I didn't buy any battle pass until now is because I am not sure if I will be able to play the game. I am only here desperately asking for help because I think I tried everything I could find on the Internet.

Message 3 of 8 (547 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @Nepph

I appreciate the details!

When you have a chance could you share a DxDiag here so we can take a look? You can find more details on how to pull one up over at the EA Help website. Once you have the text file please attach it to this thread. 

Thanks again!

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 4 of 8 (516 Views)

★★ Novice

I am very sorry for the delay, you offered help and I just disappeared. Problems in my family, had to travel for a couple of months. 
This is the DxDiag, hope you still see this. I know I barely meet the minimum requirements, but I can't understand how Titanfall 2 runs smoothly when the requirements are similar, a little higher than Apex's even.
Sorry again and thank you for you time.

Message 5 of 8 (429 Views)

Community Manager

@Nepph 

No need for an apology. Thanks for following up!

I read through the DxDiag you attached, and it looks like your NVIDIA drivers are a bit out of date. Can you try updating those to the most recent version to see if that helps at all? For more information on how to update them check out the EA Help website

Let me know if that helps at all with the performance issues you've been seeing. 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 6 of 8 (407 Views)

★★ Novice

I checked their website and downloaded the GeForce Experience just to be sure, it seems this is the latest one for my GPU. This means they stopped updating it since last year and I'm done for right?

Message 7 of 8 (391 Views)

Community Manager

@Nepph 

Ah, I see. It's possible they may no longer be writing new drivers for that GPU, I'm afraid. There are some other things we can try that may help improve the performance, though. 

What happens if you start up your PC in a Clean Boot before you launch Apex Legends? If there's anything else running on the PC that could be affecting the performance in-game that may help to get around it. 

For more info on how to set one up check out the EA Help website. Let me know how that goes when you have the chance. Thanks again!

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 8 of 8 (379 Views)