The game is causing high ping

by Nuklear_Snow

Original Post

Accepted Solution

The game is causing high ping

★★ Novice

What the game is doing seems really odd but every time I start it up and join into a match my ping goes right up (between 100-200) and doesn't come back down until I leave. I know it the game because if I play any other game other than battlefield 5 my ping readings stay normal. This also appears to be affecting my whole house, If I'm running a ping test on my laptop at the same time the ping goes way up when I start a game on Battlefield 5 with my gaming pc.

Message 1 of 4 (802 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: The game is causing high ping

★★ Novice

OK... so this is really silly but i have solved my own issue... 

The answer is One Drive!

There is a folder that battlefield 5 creates in "Documents" that has some temp files that it creates while playing the game. Since one drive constantly tries to back up your files it tried backing all these temp files up constantly, which was causing a lot of small but enough to create a problem in my network issue.

Thanks EA_Blueberry for taking the time to reply but this is my solution to the problem

View in thread

Message 4 of 4 (754 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hey @Nuklear_Snow

We have some great basic connection troubleshooting steps we recommend attempting first before diving into anything more complicated. Check out the link below to see if that helps improve your ping in game.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/connection-troubleshooting-basic/

Blueberry.png
Message 2 of 4 (780 Views)

★★ Novice

I tried everything there. Ran the trace tool too both while not playing and while playing and all my ping times increase significantly once as soon as i start an online match. Before starting it my ping times are all low. It only happens while playing battlefield 5 also. Ive played other games online and they dont do this, just BF5 is increasing my ping significantly.

Thanks for the assistance by the way

Message 3 of 4 (762 Views)

★★ Novice

OK... so this is really silly but i have solved my own issue... 

The answer is One Drive!

There is a folder that battlefield 5 creates in "Documents" that has some temp files that it creates while playing the game. Since one drive constantly tries to back up your files it tried backing all these temp files up constantly, which was causing a lot of small but enough to create a problem in my network issue.

Thanks EA_Blueberry for taking the time to reply but this is my solution to the problem

Message 4 of 4 (755 Views)