The chat filter is ridiculous! Blocks words that are not swear words

by mi5jason

Original Post

The chat filter is ridiculous! Blocks words that are not swear words

★ Apprentice

The chat filter is offensive in the amount of things it blocks. Apparently EA has a problem with homosexuals, among the extensive list of other words that can’t be used in our alliance chat which is comprised of legal age adults. 

I can understand blocking swear words or things only used in hate speech, but putting and entire class of people in the filter is unacceptable. I’m sure there’s many groups that would be happy to make sure EA gets the press it deserves for classifying gay, and lesbian as swear words. It’s disgraceful. 

Message 1 of 4 (477 Views)

Re: The chat filter is ridiculous! Blocks words that are not swear words

★★★★ Pro

Don't hold your breath for things getting fixed. I have reported words that are wrongly filtered months ago, nothing has happened.

Honestly, I do not understand why this chat filter is there at all. There is after all the freedom of speech and expression.

Message 2 of 4 (449 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@Mister_Crac wrote:

Don't hold your breath for things getting fixed. I have reported words that are wrongly filtered months ago, nothing has happened.

Honestly, I do not understand why this chat filter is there at all. There is after all the freedom of speech and expression.

There's a way to circumvent the chat filter.  I always place a asterisk somewhere in the word to fool the chat filter. Take the word scatter, it is erroneously blocked, maybe because its because of scat. I know scat is analogous to poop, but scatter? that's like spreading seeds here and there on the ground and letting those grow. To circumvent this, I type scatter as sca*ter. EA screwed the filter too much.

Message 3 of 4 (437 Views)

★ Apprentice

The more you try to circumvent it I think it ramps up it blocking. It’s really stupid. It blocks words it should not. The fact they are silent on this means it might be worth pursuing with some outside organizations to shame them into fixing their filter especially since it classifies and entire class of people as dirty or inappropriate. That will carry weight.

Message 4 of 4 (399 Views)