Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: The cause of "Error retrieving pilot data"

by RubenMart1n

Original Post

The cause of "Error retrieving pilot data"

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Want to start out saying, I'm not a network engineer, or admin, though I believe I know what's the cause.

Servers have different uses. Matchmaking, storing data, hosting lobbies, and a couple other things. Of course each of these things require an internet connection (duh). Anthem isn't the only EA game that this is happening to, BUT in this case it's the most glaring example of the problem with "always online".

This problem happens in FIFA as well. It doesn't disconnect you from the game, but what it does is disconnect you from a small insignificant thing; your total XP data / rank. You're still connected to the game servers (FUT, MM, EA), but not to the server that tracks your account's XP.

I very firmly believe, that Anthem's issue relates to the example above. Like I said, I'm not an engineer, but it seems to me that the packet loss threshold for this particular server is very low. That's why some people have no issues, while others do. Different ISP's obviously have different quality. It explains why you can play other online games, without disconnections, but somehow retrieving data in Anthem disconnects you completely. The game cannot function without having your pilot data, and when the server doesn't get enough packets within a certain timeframe, you're sent to the menu screen. 

We can't fix this. Doesn't matter what DNS you use, doesn't matter if you're on IPv4 or IPv6. This I believe is all on EA's data servers end. 

Message 1 of 13 (396 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

If I get it it is always after a mission has finished.

Message 2 of 13 (327 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Sounds logical. Good post

Message 3 of 13 (324 Views)
Highlighted

★ Apprentice

@Sleepwalker_VIE wrote:

If I get it it is always after a mission has finished.

im looking dat screen for 10 DAYS. 

Message 4 of 13 (322 Views)

★ Apprentice
Exactly what he said, this right here.This is extremely logical. EA read this post.
Message 5 of 13 (312 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Attempted bump. Since the patch that said they'll fix this, didn't fix anything except add more variation to error messages. 

Past 2 days the game has got almost unplayable for me. 

Message 6 of 13 (257 Views)

★★ Guide

I just play 2 hour ago . but at this time seem like its down and I not able to login it. you not alone here . 

cheer 

Message 7 of 13 (255 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Same for me since day 1.Origin says i played 95 hours of Anthem and when i select change pilot i see i have 25 hours ingame...

Seeing the number of similar posts on this forum with no answer from EA i'm starting believing they have clear instruction about not communicating on theses issues or are even threatened to get fired if they do so.

Message 8 of 13 (250 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Since the patch I've got more of these disconnects too.

Message 9 of 13 (237 Views)

★★★★ Newbie

Xbox One 

i keep geting this on my xbox one when ever i try and long in its been happing for some time now around 2weeks even after patch 1.03 and every time i do a quick play and finly get to the reward screen i get kicked

i have tryed clearing cash, reseting modem,uninstaling everything and reinstaling but nothing is working

Message 10 of 13 (211 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help