Re: Text size too small - can't customize it

by holger1405

Original Post

Text size too small - can't customize it

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I recently purchased The Sims 4 for PS4. I am unable to play the game due to the fact that the font size is far too small. There isn't an option to toggle the size and increase it. 

I had to stand iincredibly close to the television screen before I was able to read the prompts or information about my Sim. I ended up moving my television much closer to my seat, about three feet away. In doing so, I triggered a severe migraine. I was horribly ill with indescribable pain, vision loss, loss of speech, memory loss, confusion, inability to read, write, or type, I was violently throwing up and I became completely unable to even use my phone to call for help. 

Though I do take fault in moving my television too close, I wanted to illustrate exactly how much of an issue the small font size is. After scouring online forums such as Reddit and the actual Sims website, I've learned that there are many users reporting the exact same inaccessibility issue for both console and PC versions of the game. My screen is a 52" LCD television, and I have also tried the game on a 60" to no avail.

As a disabled person on an extremely limited budget, I cannot afford to put this game back on the shelf to collect dust. I saved for months to be able to purchase this game, which makes my experience all the more disheartening. Please, please fix this issue. I am a long-time fan of this title, I have many fond childhood memories of playing earlier installments. I would really like to play this game freely without worrying about adverse health issues that may arise from trying to compensate for the small font size.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Jessica

Message 1 of 16 (39,191 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

On PC: The Options.ini can be found in your Sims4 folder.

Most Windows have a different path so it may not be exactly as I've listed here.

Wins7 path: C:>User>user name>my documents>Electronic Arts>The Sims 4> Options.ini Wins8 path: C:\Users\xxxxxx\Documents\Electronic Arts\Die Sims 4

You can double click Options.ini and try changing it.

Look for the uiscale and adjust it per the following instructions.

uiscale = 100 (This is what it will be when you open the Options.ini) this value(100), you change in small steps until it is readable/usable. smaller values make the ui bigger(like 90,80,...50,etc) and bigger values make it smaller(110,120,etc). this parameter changes the complete ui, so not only the colour stripes will get bigger/smaller, the texts and symbols change too. as reference: i play sims 4 in 3840x2160 pixels resolution, in that resolution sims 4 with uiscale = 100 is even on a 42" tv hard to read, the colour stripes even harder. if i change the uiscale parameter to 50, the ui is double the size as it would be with 100, and i can read texts, and use the colour stripes effectively.

On Console:

• On Xbox there's an option in game settings to adjust the size of the screen which might help. It's under Game options > Other > Adjust margins.
  • On PlayStation, this option is not available from the in-game settings because the game takes your console settings. This means you can adjust margins from PlayStation settings: from the PlayStation 4 home screen go to Settings > Sound and Screen > Display Area Settings

Hope this helps and Good Luck. Happy Simmin Wink

Message 2 of 16 (38,889 Views)

★ Novice

I have the same issue.  I stupidly purchased this game yesterday.  I am on PS 4.  There are boatloads of people with this issue when you do a google search but no one on these forums.  All EA has is ...

"

• On PlayStation, this option is not available from the in-game settings because the game takes your console settings. This means you can adjust margins from PlayStation settings: from the PlayStation 4 home screen go to Settings > Sound and Screen > Display Area Settings  "

So, you are saying I must adjust margins to play this game.  Totally, ridiculous.  I wish I had never bought this game or that I could return it.  I was excited to play and was planning on expansions but I can see that isn't happening.  I can see why the game has poor user reviews.

Message 3 of 16 (38,788 Views)

★ Guide

Similar problems with Sims 4 PC

visually impaired Simmers having problems seeing tex to build and play the game. Please help

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16717972#Comment_16717972

Message 4 of 16 (38,589 Views)

@stormsview

There is a functional workaround in the post of @Bubblye.

Until the devs fix this, I would recommend to use it. Standard smile

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 5 of 16 (38,583 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I tried this but every time I go to open up the game the uiscale sets itself back automatically - can you help me with this? Is it cause I have to restart my PC after changing the uiscale or what am I doing wrong?

Message 6 of 16 (37,250 Views)

@SuperiorDane92 

The game should ask you if you want to reset the uiscale to standard.

Is that not happening?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 7 of 16 (37,235 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I’ve already had my PS4 settings set like that and the font in the game is still impossible to read. Is there another way to enlarge the font? I’d like to be able to enjoy my game. 

Message 8 of 16 (34,339 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@faeriebearie PS4 has a zoom setting in accessibility under settings
Message 9 of 16 (33,336 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Bubblye This increases the entire screen ratio effectively cutting off the ends of three screen making it impossible to see certain tabs. We need a setting change. 🙁
Message 10 of 16 (31,609 Views)