by EA_Blueberry

Original Post

Taking a long time to start game

★★★★★ Newbie

Product: Apex Legends
Platform:Sony Playstation 4
Please specify your platform model. Sony PlayStation 4 Pro
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? IamjusttheITguy
Please provide your squad mates' gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name if possible.
Which Legend were you playing (if applicable)? Any
Which Legends were your squad mates using (if applicable)?
Where did the issue occur? Loading into the match from the lobby
Which part of the map or menu were you in? If you don't remember the exact name, please describe the area or what you were trying to do in the menu. Start of the game
What were you doing when the issue occurred? E.g. respawning a squad mate at a beacon, using an ability, a squad mate left the game. Just starting the game from my PS4 menu
Did your squad mates also experience the issue? I don't know
How many matches had you played in a row before the issue occurred? Quite a few matches
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) After I upgraded my PS4 Pro with an SSD
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
How severe is your issue? Major impacts to gameplay
What happens when the bug occurs? Not sure if its a bug or overall performance. Upon starting the application it takes 15 minutes to actually start the game. Prior to my upgrade the game would launch within seconds. I have played many other games after the upgrade and they all load up fine within reasonable time.
What should be happening instead? Games should be starting faster
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Really not sure if you can replicate this issue.

After upgrading my PS4 Pro to an SSD that it takes at least 15 minutes for the game to actually start and prompt to press X on the title screen. Before the upgrade it would not take this much to actually start the game. I would say at least 2-3 minutes tops. First i though it might be the SSD but I ruled that out by loading other games I have to see if I experience the same issue but I dont. All other games load up either the same amount of time it does before or even faster due to the SSD upgrade. Not sure if this is an ongoing issue or if it has been reported, but it really affects my decision on streaming the game due to how long it takes to start. I currently dont have any videos to show this issue but next time I fire up the stream I will record the issue on OBS so maybe that will give a better aspect of it and time lapse on how long it takes. 

Thanks for your time

Message 1 of 4 (354 Views)

Re: Taking a long time to start game

Community Manager

@IamjusttheITguy 

If you have the game installed on an external hard drive, make sure there aren't files on both the internal and external drive. That can cause some weird performance issues because it's pulling data from two different sources.

Try unplugging the external and verify whether there are files on the internal. If so, you'll need to uninstall all files from both and then reinstall. 

Blueberry.png
Message 2 of 4 (309 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Thanks for the reply EA_Blueberry,

But I don't have an external plugged into my PS4. This is all internal hard drive. Just upgraded the internal hard drive to a solid state drive (1TB of storage). 

Message 3 of 4 (297 Views)

Community Manager

@IamjusttheITguy 

Do you have the latest software update for your PS4? 

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/ps4-system-software/

Since this is now occurring since upgrading the hard drive, we advise reaching out to PlayStation Support if applications like ours are taking 15 minutes to launch it. This isn't something we haven't seen any reports on and seems more hardware related.

Click here to contact PlayStation Support

Blueberry.png
Message 4 of 4 (272 Views)