Re: Swtor keeps crashing on first screen

by ElvhenYoung

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@proxos666 

back to square one. I did the thing where I put one option up or higher, and then restart the game - windowed-fullscreen? works. high textures and character detail (only that-no shaders, bloom etc.etc.) it got into character screen and crashed when I clicked preferences. wtf, swtor.

I'm really contemplating just leaving playing swtor until i buy a new computer but i really wanna play.

edit: now it crashes when I click the preferences, but let's me into character selection

Message 41 of 48 (629 Views)

@ElvhenYoung 

Right mouse click on the client_setting file in appdata and make sure it is not read only

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

Message 42 of 48 (622 Views)

★ Apprentice

@proxos666 

checked, it is not set to read-only

Message 43 of 48 (611 Views)

@ElvhenYoung 

Will check on other possible causes tomorrow its 1:30am here now so going shortly 

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

Message 44 of 48 (606 Views)

★ Apprentice

@proxos666 

ok, thank you for help anyway. 

I'll actually have a dnd session so I'm going as well - it was my last try before leaving xd

Message 45 of 48 (604 Views)

★ Apprentice

@proxos666 

so, I did some experimenting.

when I get the game only on (fullscreen windowed) and put texture quality and character level of detail on high - i still can avoid the startup crash, going into preferences on choosing your character screen will crash the game, funny enough if you log in into a character you can change the preferences however you want, but for now all combination I tried, one with AA turned off completely, and shadows on low is crashing the game when I log out. 

and honestly that is weird, I had the same settings for months with that graphic card - even with two years old drivers installed and everything was fine. 

but basically that's all I found out for now.

Message 46 of 48 (561 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Swtor game on laptops seem to have the most common issue with lockups during chats, crashes and not closing after logging out.

The most common cause of this is due to the intergrated graphic chipset, motherboard design and lack of system ram most laptops have 4gb of ram and have concern graphic settings within the chipset removed inorder to keep cost down.

Laptops need minmium of 8 gigabytes to run the game ok but still have issue with chats and disappearing screens.

I have 12 gigabyte and swtor game struggles on it worst with onslaught especially especially with fight screens where enemies disappear but cause i understand whats happen i just wait for everything to settle down.

But on my desktop computer i put in 32 gigabyte of ram and this game run very well with exception to server lag.

Minimum game specs i discovered this game runs well on is 16 gigabytes of ram and above Nvidia GT610 graphic card just for a desktop computer.

That on windows 10 desktop with motherboard z87 extreme 4.

My Main computer is Z270 extreme 4 Windows 10 machine with Nvidia GT1030 and 4 Terabtye hard drive in 5 partitions with 32 gigabyte of ram great system for majority of things i do and for playing swtor.

I use the laptop to check swtor game issue if the issue is not on my swtor game on my laptop then i know its isolated issue to my computer if the issue appears on my laptop then i know its external issue not my side.

Message 47 of 48 (536 Views)

★ Apprentice

@Snrebellord

First, that's a monster of a computer, I want one like that one of this days.

But honestly? On my laptop swtor always worked alright, maybe not on ultra with 60 fps but manageable, with very rare lag, for everything I was doing usually in game.

But it the problem just started overnight, only because I tried to launch Onslaught on the one character I could. Before for 5 days after the patch everything was great, so I am pretty sure it's because of that. I could play, but I'm not downgrading to ultra low settings, I might write a ticket. Maybe deleting or resetting the Onslaught mission would fix it somehow as I noticed that new expansion demands much better graphics card so I could just stick to content before. 

Message 48 of 48 (495 Views)