Stuttering with Aorus 1070 Gaming Box eGPU

by Llambb

Original Post

Stuttering with Aorus 1070 Gaming Box eGPU

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hey guys,

Struggling to figure out this stuttering issue. It exists whether I'm on the lowest settings or ultra settings. I feel like I got ripped off as I just purchased this game and can't play at all because of this issue. The spikes/stuttering happens IMMEDIATELY once the game boots, even with my laptop cold.

Specs: X1 Extreme

i7 8750H

16Gb 2666MHz

Aorus Gaming Box w/ 1070

External monitor, laptop monitor disabled. DX12 on and off.

Screenshot of stutter:  https://imgur.com/h85lB81

This also happens in the menus with constant spikes:  https://imgur.com/1CWeUbt

There's a video of a Macbook Pro with a 1070 eGPU running the BF5 beta buttery smooth so I know specs are not the culprits. Any suggestions? I just updated nVidia drivers as well to 425.xx. I've already used DDU to do a clean install of nVidia drivers. These spikes results in pauses that last milliseconds but do not contribute to any FPS drops (at least based on the counter)

Additionally, there are no spikes like the ones shown in the screenshots when running off the discrete 1050ti inside my laptop, it runs perfectly fine. This constant spiking only occurs when the Aorus Gaming Box is plugged in and being used, regardless of whether I'm using an external display or my laptop's display. Games like Forza Horizon 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Apex Legends all run without any issues using the Aorus Gaming Box. This is specific to BF5

Message 1 of 3 (844 Views)

Re: Stuttering with Aorus 1070 Gaming Box eGPU

@Llambb wrote:

Hey guys,

Struggling to figure out this stuttering issue. It exists whether I'm on the lowest settings or ultra settings. I feel like I got ripped off as I just purchased this game and can't play at all because of this issue. The spikes/stuttering happens IMMEDIATELY once the game boots, even with my laptop cold.

Specs: X1 Extreme

i7 8750H

16Gb 2666MHz

Aorus Gaming Box w/ 1070

External monitor, laptop monitor disabled. DX12 on and off.

Screenshot of stutter:  https://imgur.com/h85lB81

This also happens in the menus with constant spikes:  https://imgur.com/1CWeUbt

There's a video of a Macbook Pro with a 1070 eGPU running the BF5 beta buttery smooth so I know specs are not the culprits. Any suggestions? I just updated nVidia drivers as well to 425.xx. I've already used DDU to do a clean install of nVidia drivers. These spikes results in pauses that last milliseconds but do not contribute to any FPS drops (at least based on the counter)

Additionally, there are no spikes like the ones shown in the screenshots when running off the discrete 1050ti inside my laptop, it runs perfectly fine. This constant spiking only occurs when the Aorus Gaming Box is plugged in and being used, regardless of whether I'm using an external display or my laptop's display. Games like Forza Horizon 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Apex Legends all run without any issues using the Aorus Gaming Box. This is specific to BF5

@Llambb  the first place I'd check is your NVIDIA control panel as every time that I update my driver it resets my options back to ultra eye candy mode which will adversely affect performance, especially on older systems. I'd also disable any overlays such as Origin in game, MSI afterburner, and Discord's in game overlay and give it a try again afterwards.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Please mark a thread as solved if a post solves your issue.

EA Answers HQ Volunteer Forum Moderator

BF3, BF4, BF1, BFV DICE Friend tag awardee

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Twitter: Ragnarok013
Message 2 of 3 (826 Views)

Re: Stuttering with Aorus 1070 Gaming Box eGPU

★ Guide

@Llambb  @ragnarok013 

From what i got by reading many posts,facing my own stutters and crashes with the game and what my clan mates faced with the game on their own pcs,i came to the conclusion that no matter what pc config you have, the game will not run smoothly.

BFV,as it is built,tortures the CPU,causing memory leaks,heat spikes,stutters,crashes.Unless the devs that are working on the game's optimization,take a better look at the game's structure there will always be these kind of issues.

But we must though take under consideration that,every pc config is different from the others,we are not in consoles which are all the same,what runs to me smoothly maybe to others doesn't.

In general though the game has many optimization issues that need to be solved.

Message 3 of 3 (819 Views)