Re: Stereo Audio with 5.1 7.1 Surround Config

by mkthunderwd

Original Post

Stereo Audio with 5.1 7.1 Surround Config

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

In season 6 and before, Apex Legends was working just fine with my 5.1 surround sound. After a few games of season 7, it was obvious something was wrong with the sound. I did the only in-game audio test I could think of and threw frag grenades in the firing range. There is no sound coming out of the rear/sur speakers, Apex Legends reports a 5.1 audio configuration in Windows 10, and audio tests confirm all speakers are working outside of Apex Legends.

I checked the settings.cfg file and found the line:
sound_num_speakers "2"

I changed it to:

sound_num_speakers "6"

C:\Users\USERNAME\Saved Games\Respawn\Apex\local\settings.cfg

That didn't change it in game.

I tried the launch option "+miles_channels 6" and that didn't seem to do it either. I read somewhere that it has to do with sound occlusion.

This bug really screws with my situational awareness. Please fix.

Message 1 of 7 (3,302 Views)

★ Guide

Bump. This is still an issue.

Message 2 of 7 (3,219 Views)

EA DICE Team

What audio 5.1 system do you use and does it have its own standalone drivers? @mkthunderwd 

/Atic 

Message 3 of 7 (3,203 Views)

Message 4 of 7 (3,179 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@EA_AticBoth of these were manually installed together:

Realtek High Definition Audio Driver - Version 1.1.137.0

Realtek Audio Console - Version 6.0.1.8619

Message 5 of 7 (3,141 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@EA_AticCan we get a super simple online or offline audio/video test map accessible from Settings?

Something I always liked about Apex and Titanfall games is that background feeling that it's all a test or training and you're the subject.

If the test map is not simple, it could be something like this:

You are wraith. You are strapped into the chair at labs in third person. There may be NPC lab techs around you that are going about their business and they make footstep sounds at least. After a time, you hear void wraith voices and see faint ghost-like versions of wraith at random points around you. Some still, some walking in a circle around you. They are the main source of the test sounds. The chair is where sound is heard from, not the camera. Maybe lock vertical look axis. You may be able to free yourself, but when you do the screen fades and the test ends. It could be made to look like this is a simulation with Dr. Singh being the last shot before it ends. This could be one of the most dramatic, cinematic, and lore enforcing test maps ever.

2020-01-02 EDIT: At the end, it could be revealed Wraith was having a flashback during the games after entering the test chamber in labs.

Message 6 of 7 (3,139 Views)

★★★ Novice
@mkthunderwd I think you took too much time writing that response here, as you probably never will have a response back! You could try contacting EA directly or better yet to try and find a dev on twitter.
Sounds like a real good idea you have!
Message 7 of 7 (1,598 Views)