Re: Steam Version Problem: Opens Origin and demands activation key

by Gormey

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Steam Version Problem: Opens Origin and demands activation key

★★★★ Expert

Hello everybody!

My name is @benn1nat0r and I am a very active forum member in the general discussion forum. I decided to buy the game on steam after having played the game since Founder's Edition on PS4. So I bought it on steam, but had Origin already installed on my pc.

After installation, 2 instances of origin opened. One was my already configured one and the other wanted me to sign in, which I did. I couldn't get the game to run for 20 minutes. It only opened up Origin. Origin then opened a window for adding non Origin games. It said I needed to type in an activation code I either have on my CD or received by email, which clearly wasn't the case.

After 20 minutes, the game magically worked.

Now the game does the origin activation thing randomly. Most of the time it works, but sometimes it doesn't. The game also doesn't show up in my Origin library (I don't know if it should).

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this. I'm not really mad as I can still play on PS4, but I expect a game to work if I paid money for it, even if I was 75% reduced in price. 

Thanks in advance,

@benn1nat0r

Message 1 of 7 (3,223 Views)

Accepted Solution

Message 2 of 7 (3,201 Views)

All Replies

Message 2 of 7 (3,202 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@Gormey Thank you for linking this. I will try some of these fixes when I play the Steam Version again.
Message 3 of 7 (3,198 Views)

★ Expert

Hey, I think this might help:

I had the same issue and I couldn't figure out why.

Constantly would Buy->Install->Launch->"where's your code?"

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/Steam-Product-Code-For-Origin/td-p/9274628/page/3

So, it turned out that my steam email was NOT the same email I was using to login to origin. In fact, I had two origin accounts. Signing into the same email on origin as i used on steam did the trick for me.
Message 4 of 7 (3,197 Views)

★★★★ Expert

Again, thank you for linking this. I use the same email address for everything, so this couldn't be it. I will try everything you suggested when I have the time (maybe later today or tomorrow).

Thank you fro trying to help me, I really appreciate it Standard smile.

Message 5 of 7 (3,186 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

@GormeyHello! Thank you so much! This helped to add the game to origin. I had to reinstall it and use one of the workarounds mentioned there. I will update my assessment of the steam version later, even though I still think I shouldn't have had to deal with it. It could also be that the bug with the activation key returns again. It worked in the past but returned to broken state after. I hope this will permanently work. If not, I will update this post.

Message 6 of 7 (3,161 Views)

★ Expert
@benn1nat0r You can thank me by playing me in team vanquish sometime.
Message 7 of 7 (3,150 Views)