Re: Sound not working with a PS4 controller attached with a headset (PC)

by mrchorroz

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sound not working with a PS4 controller attached with a headset (PC)

★★ Novice

Hello

I play on Microsoft Windows 10, opened the game with a PS4 contoller attached with a headset and the sound stopped working.

I am able to open all other games with sound just fine it's just when I open Apex Legends the sound stopped working until I quit the game and reattach my controller.

Is there a fix for this? Thanks.

Message 1 of 19 (34,853 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Novice
I downloaded a PS4 controller software called DS4windows. Not only it allowed me to listen the sound through the controller's headphone input, it allowed me to play with it on other games like Darksiders 3 and Anthem where they don't recognize a PS4 controller. It's a godsend! You should have it installed if you listen through a PS4 controller!

View in thread

Message 4 of 19 (34,734 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Newbie

same problem , did you fix it ?

Message 2 of 19 (34,814 Views)

★★ Novice

Happens to me too. Audio keeps cutting out when I listen through my dualshock 4 controller. Starts working again if I adjust volume, then just cuts out again. Must have something to do with the way the game's driver or interaction with the controller?

Message 3 of 19 (34,734 Views)

★★ Novice
I downloaded a PS4 controller software called DS4windows. Not only it allowed me to listen the sound through the controller's headphone input, it allowed me to play with it on other games like Darksiders 3 and Anthem where they don't recognize a PS4 controller. It's a godsend! You should have it installed if you listen through a PS4 controller!
Message 4 of 19 (34,735 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Did you fix this ? @sunkist_elf 

Message 5 of 19 (34,410 Views)

★★ Novice

I don't know why this says solved, it still specifically doesn't work with Apex.

Message 6 of 19 (31,372 Views)

★★★ Novice

I am having the same problem. I even tried using DS4Windows as mentioned as well, but to no effect.

I am using a TRS headset (3.5mm) into the PS4 controller audio jack, which is connected via USB to my computer. Controller is recognized as an audio device, and windows plays audio as well as sees my microphone, but when I launch Apex Legends, audio output stops unless I turn Windows volume up/down continuously (I have volume mapped to my mouse wheel for this). Apex itself hears my mic as indicated in the Audio settings, but there is no continuous audio output.

Message 7 of 19 (31,122 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I fixed this. You need to use the latest version of DS4Windows, which can be found in this github repo: https://github.com/Ryochan7/DS4Windows/releases -- The old version by Jay4Kings is no longer maintained.

Make sure you uninstall the old version's driver. Otherwise nothing will work. (If you need to do this, download the old version again, and click "install driver" when it prompts you. It should create a folder (in wherever you launched DS4Windows.exe) that says "Virtual Bus Driver". In that folder is an uninstaller named ScpDriver.exe:

2020-07-23 14_12_42-Screenshot.png

Running ScpDriver.exe will give you the option to uninstall the old driver.)

After installing the latest DS4Windows, audio and microphone worked in Apex as expected. Only issue was controller was too sensitive and I did have to adjust my deadzones using DS4Windows. After that, everything worked as usual.

Note that DS4Windows emulates an Xbox 360 controller by default. This is required for everything to work! Do not change type to DualShock as it will not work.

ds4xbxx.jpg

I do think these are far too many hoops to jump through just to get audio working for a game with your controller, but until Respawn and/or Microsoft releases universal drivers for these things, this is the way...

Message 8 of 19 (31,048 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I wrote an entire reply but EA auto-removed it as spam.

Basically you need to use the latest version of DS4Windows. The first one that comes up in a google search is no longer maintained. Find the latest here: https://github.com/Ryochan7/DS4Windows/releases

Make sure to remove the old driver from the old version, otherwise you will encounter issues.

ALSO, if you are using this app, make sure Steam is not running otherwise it will intercept the controller settings.

Message 9 of 19 (31,042 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@togaprty this worked for me! Thank you so much!!!!
Message 10 of 19 (30,554 Views)