Slow Internet Connection. This Might Affect Your Gameplay Over & Over Again

by Rynigin

Original Post

Slow Internet Connection. This Might Affect Your Gameplay Over & Over Again

★★★★ Apprentice

I have had this issue for as long as I've had the game. I got the game when it first came out. I paid for the Ultimate version for it. For some time I thought it was me. I worked with my ISP and now after months, I have 5G running through my house. I fixed my Xbox One so that I have over 25 download and over 4 upload. My NAT is Open. All of my other 133 games work fine online and off. So by process of elimination if I did all I could on my end and it's not me or any of my other Xbox games with issues then it has to be the game.

I have been trying to play with this lag thing forever now. I and others will see some people running in place as if they are on ice. We would walk around them. They soon disappear or are killed where they are stuck running in place. I have been caught up in this. I have been killed many, many, many times by this weird lag. Yesterday I was stuck in the stupid lad. It was the worst I have ever been in. I couldn't move anywhere. It was like being under Rey's spell constantly. Every time I tried to move I would move a little or a lot in the opposite direction. I had to go slow to move in the right direction I wanted to go. Of course, going slow means I got killed a lot. I was getting shot and I couldn't duck. I couldn't move to get out of the way. If anything I ended up moving closer to the shooter then dying. You know with all of this going on a lot of words came out of my mouth. Words that would make the military blush. I was that mad. I then had a thought. When I play an Arcade Scenario and then played any other type of game like HVV I won't see any data after the match at all. Everything will say 0. It will say no data available. (On Xbox) But if I exit the game and then quit the game and then relaunch it I will see data and information on HVV and GA and any other game mode. So I tried this technique to see if it would work for the lag and it did to a point. I wasn't out of control anymore. I could move my character the way I wanted to. But I still kept getting the warning "Slow Internet Connection, This Might Affect Your Gameplay. It just keeps flashing or it stays on non-stop. Yes, I saw people running in place and people disappearing but at least I could move again.  Can You please fix this game lag issue? It's not my Internet, It's not my Xbox either.

I want to be able to move as a group at the beginning of a match not at the beginning people disappear or can't move or are stuck running in place. It's stupid. People have left many, many matches because they were frustrated which leaves my team short-handed. Please fix the issue. Thank You.

Message 1 of 19 (11,178 Views)

Re: Slow Internet Connection. This Might Affect Your Gameplay Over & Over Ag

Community Manager

Hi, @Rynigin 

How have things improved for you in the last month? I'm sorry we couldn't get out to your post earlier about this. I want to make sure you're having a great time playing the game. 

Blueberry.png
Message 2 of 19 (11,071 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Well, things still have been freezing for me.
Just yesterday on HVV I was fighting and then everyone was doing the running in the air running motion again.
Then everything caught up to itself and I was surrounded getting hit by 3 players. I got killed.
one time during the same match no one was around me and I tried to move down the hallway and I couldn't move and then I realized it's the lag again.
I was the target. Before the lag was even gone I knew I was being hit. My controller was shaking from hits. It wasn't on the screen yet but I knew.
By the time Real Time came into play, I was dead. I would have to say no to the improvements on the anti-lag fix you did. It didn't work.

Message 3 of 19 (11,053 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

I had this issue a few months ago. All I did was just turn off the share data button in the ea-account settings in battlefront 2. (I see your on Xbox so I don't think the option is there). But I would say 25mb/s is the bare minimum to play a game, at least for pc. I don't know how it is for xbox though.

Hope this help.

Message 4 of 19 (11,038 Views)

Community Manager

Have you tried opening up ports listed for Star Wars Battlefront II in your router's admin panel, @Rynigin ?

We have them listed in here: https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/opening-tcp-or-udp-ports-for-connection-issues/

That should help the flow of data going back and forth from our servers and your network. Hope that helps too!

Blueberry.png
Message 5 of 19 (11,014 Views)

Champion

@Rynigin- what region are you in and what ping site are you using? Check via game options & note the Milliseconds.

"I am not an EA employee. Just a fellow gamer trying to lend a helping hand. I don't know everything but will attempt to find a solution to your problem. If I have helped, please click on the XP button below. If I have solved your problem, Then click on the Accept as Solution Button. Have Fun."

★★ Guide

I regularly get this message despite having a high end fibre connection etc etc. But the game is still playable

When it first occurred I scoured the FAQs looking for potential solutions to no avail.

The data below shows to problem servers at the time … may be total rubbish now?

Host Name                             IP Address                Hop     Ping Time       Ping Avg     Ping best/worst

unknown.prolexic.com        209.200.168.132        11         575ms            610ms        575ms / 646ms
* Unknown Host *                  159.153.93.2               12         190ms
* Unknown Host *                  159.153.225.30          13         564ms            564ms        564ms / 564ms
meav5-pub.pt.iad.ea.com   159.153.226.105         14        624ms             624ms        624ms / 624ms

The server IP addresses may be recognisable? Apologies if this is useless.

Message 7 of 19 (10,964 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I’ve had the same issue just and again it’s not my xbox or my internet, there was a bug where basically the game lagged but it was fixed but it may have been broken again in the latest patch as that’s when the most recent influx is and it’s not unusual to have patches that fix one thing and break another but that is the nature of game design as I’d know from first hand experience. Honestly I’m my case just switch the game on and off again but if it is the same bug then we have to wait for dice to fix it. Hope this helped.

Message 8 of 19 (10,953 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

I play GA & HvV on Xbox Australian region with ping site time around 23ms and 50mb/s cable and never have lag problems. Other game modes are not accessible unless I use a different ping  site such as US Oregon @190ms or US Virginia @ 243ms.If there is lag via these sites, it is barely noticeable.  Anything over these, lag makes the game unplayable. @chuntery I would expect the examples in you post would be also unplayable.

When you are playing, is there a message on the top right of screen such as a small bar graph highlighting "X" number of bars and stating "slow internet connection may effect gameplay"?

Anything under 3 bars & lag/dropouts would be a problem.

@CrimsonLeader88- If it was a game bug then I would have the same problem. I think the original bug was when the selected ping site in options would not be maintained. That was fixed and the "Default" ping added.

What ping site are you using and what region are you & have you tried other ping sites (taking account of time zones)?

"I am not an EA employee. Just a fellow gamer trying to lend a helping hand. I don't know everything but will attempt to find a solution to your problem. If I have helped, please click on the XP button below. If I have solved your problem, Then click on the Accept as Solution Button. Have Fun."

★★ Guide

@ggibb65  Sure I see 3 or 4 bars and get the message that it may effect gameplay. It flashes up and disappears. Those ping results are from last year and are not recent. I believe I have seen an improvement.

But during a game the worst scenario is that everything stops dead and I lose the game completely. This is a rare occurrence. The more likely scenario is that I am at a disadvantage versus the other players ….they seem to react more quickly esp. in a one on one situation. I cannot compete on an equal footing. So I change my game play to long distance confrontations and avoid melee. That way I can get a decent points score.

I'm PC based not console. Now this isn't limited to one computer. It happens on multiple computers … so I believe this is not device related. I have a high end fibre internet connection with high upload and download rates. I have tried different physical locations but the results were inconclusive.

Message 10 of 19 (10,916 Views)