Re: Slow Internet Connection. This Might Affect Your Gameplay Over & Over Ag

by chuntery

Original Post

Champion

@chuntery wrote:

@ggibb65  Sure I see 3 or 4 bars and get the message that it may effect gameplay. It flashes up and disappears. Those ping results are from last year and are not recent. I believe I have seen an improvement.

But during a game the worst scenario is that everything stops dead and I lose the game completely. This is a rare occurrence. The more likely scenario is that I am at a disadvantage versus the other players ….they seem to react more quickly esp. in a one on one situation. I cannot compete on an equal footing. So I change my game play to long distance confrontations and avoid melee. That way I can get a decent points score.

I'm PC based not console. Now this isn't limited to one computer. It happens on multiple computers … so I believe this is not device related. I have a high end fibre internet connection with high upload and download rates. I have tried different physical locations but the results were inconclusive.

@chunteryWhat I highlighted in red - does this mean that the gameplay stops and then crashes back to desktop?

PLEASE DON'T TAKE OFFENCE TO WHAT I AM GOING TO SAY NEXT!! as I don't know where you are playing from or your skill level.

I am only an average player & I too, play my game from a long range style as I have found that in close one on one confrontations I usually come out second best. There are some highly skilled players in the game and many play in groups with their friends (& can talk to each other) making it even more difficult for (solo) players of my level to compete. Many of these players being in a team get their battle points very quickly & are able to get access to heroes, artillery etc early in the game and tend to hold them for longer. To compensate I play the game at a distance and also concentrate on getting or helping others on my team get the objectives ( objectives give you the most points being that SWBFII is an objective based game). If I am in the top 20 players then I am happy that I have done my job. If I have high teens or above eliminations, then that's a bonus. I have to use tactics that suit my skill level. With the varied quality of players in the game, it would be rare for me to (as you say) compete on an equal footing - I win some, I lose a lot but I still have fun trying.

Having said all that, if you are one of the highly skilled players then I misinterpreted your post & will have to eat crow!!!

"I am not an EA employee. Just a fellow gamer trying to lend a helping hand. I don't know everything but will attempt to find a solution to your problem. If I have helped, please click on the XP button below. If I have solved your problem, Then click on the Accept as Solution Button. Have Fun."

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I have been getting the same issue for the past day:

TRACERT:

Host Name IP Address Hop Ping Time Ping Avg % Loss Pkts r/s Ping best/worst
Docsis-Gateway.hsd1.mn.comcast.net 10.0.0.1 1 2ms
* Unknown Host * 96.120.49.81 2 11ms
po-101-rur01.martin.mn.minn.comcast.net 68.85.165.25 3 20ms
po-2-rur02.martin.mn.minn.comcast.net 96.108.10.78 4 17ms
be-28-ar01.roseville.mn.minn.comcast.net 96.108.10.69 5 15ms
* Unknown Host * 4.68.71.61 6 17ms
ae-2-3602.ear3.Washington1.Level3.net 4.69.206.81 7 41ms
* Unknown Host * 4.79.23.202 8 49ms
* Unknown Host * 159.153.92.10 9 1193ms
* Unknown Host * 159.153.92.78 10 45ms
bfbc2-ps3.gos.ea.com 159.153.64.173 11 46ms

Seems to be either high ping on comcast or the ea servers.

Message 12 of 19 (1,569 Views)

★★ Guide

@ggibb65  Normally it will crash out of the round and go to the game main menu screen. I'm speculating that the interruption is quickly recovered but not sufficiently to stay in the game round.  I again stress this doesn't happen very often. The * flahing "your connection may affect gameplay" does happen often.

Its interesting to see that others have seen similar "connection" issues. I suspect ...stress suspect ... that potentially the Root Cause is with the servers that EA buffers the incoming user prior to the actual game server. These servers act as EAs first line of protection/defence. Possibly they struggle occasionally and this would be different for different regions.

As regards my gameplay … sadly I can only describe myself at best as average. Have I ever topped the leader board? - yes. Have I ever played a whole game and ended up bottom? - yes. Am I levelled up troopers at 70 and starfighters at 40 - you bet I am!

I readily admit to struggling when competing with those players who are one shot wonders or manage to hit their target with a lowly sidearm/shotgun at a distance that my best sniper rifle isn't accurate. But hey that the nature of the game and we compensate. Standard smile

Message 13 of 19 (1,558 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@ggibb65 Your right, I remember now about the ping site. Sorry, I don't keep the best track. I use the europe ping site and I'm in the UK, I haven't tried other ping sites due to them usually looking worse. I'm never usually below three bars but there's still moments where I'm stuck standing still.

Message 14 of 19 (1,544 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@chuntery  - I'm with you - It's tough being an average player so when we do well and have one of those good games, you feel great but when you have the opposite you can only laugh - Read my posts on this link - https://answers.ea.com/t5/Game-Information/Community-Calendar-December/m-p/7277889/highlight/true#M7... - they really tell you how good a player I am.
I forgot to mention, there are people playing with modded controllers that take some of the skill out of the game and don't forget the hackers that appear every now & again.
Also, I too get the occasional dropout but usually on heavy traffic times (Sunday afternoon in Aust mostly). Guess all the kids are getting their game time.
@CrimsonLeader88 
Re: slow internet & lag - I have seen & replied to many posts on this forum referring to problems on the UK ping site. Maybe heavy traffic at certain times could be a cause!! It's hard to find an answer due to varied platforms and a lot of different PC setups. Everyone tends to blame the EA servers (they might be right) but if they were at fault, wouldn't everyone have the same problem, not just a few in particular regions? I spent a lot of time on researching this problem and still no permanent fix comes to light. Sometimes even though all looks right, a hard reset of your console or router fixes the problem. I am still looking for an answer.

"I am not an EA employee. Just a fellow gamer trying to lend a helping hand. I don't know everything but will attempt to find a solution to your problem. If I have helped, please click on the XP button below. If I have solved your problem, Then click on the Accept as Solution Button. Have Fun."

★★★ Novice

The game is utterly unplayable for me. I play on EU servers as I’m from South Africa and the 

game is dead here. The problem is that my character would freeze, but everything else is still moving as per usual and I can move my camera around with the mouse. After a few seconds my character moves, as if he were standing in place the whole time. Or I die while I can’t move and it does it again when I spawn in. Happens ever since launch but not beta. 

Message 16 of 19 (1,485 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I know its been a long time since you last wrote here but I did this and nothing changed. Also, what platform were you on?

Message 17 of 19 (1,248 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Rynigin for me usually I just can’t move but everyone around we can
Message 18 of 19 (696 Views)

EA DICE Team
I'm closing this thread to stop it from being necroed.

If you have any issues with SWBF2, please make a new topic about your problems and what kind of steps you have tried to solve them.

/Atic
Message 19 of 19 (601 Views)