Re: "Launch Error: Failed to start the game ( 2 ) "

by Malcom_Black

Original Post

★★★★ Apprentice

I take it all back. Frown

The next time I launched the game, I got the error again. Apparently, the brief window of it bein uninstalled bought me a one time launch.

I will say that uninstalling and reinstalling webroot is fairly quick, but what a pain in the *. This game is determined to make me miserable.

Message 61 of 76 (1,054 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I got excited because a new icon for the game showed up on my desktop. I figured EA/Epic must have updated it! Maybe it's patched and I can finally play it for the first time!! Sigh. Nope. Still broken the same way it's been.

Never heard from anybody regarding the official trouble ticket I opened with them a couple weeks back.

Maybe next month

:-\

Message 62 of 76 (1,054 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

If it could help; here are the words I sent in "support" on the Webroot website, openning the ticket  :

"Hello,
First of all, I wish you all the best for 2021.
Few of us around the world have the same issue with the game "Star Wars Squadrons" published by EA Games (please, follow the link to the EA forum):

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Since-12-17-2020-quot-Launch-Error-Failed-to-start-the-ga...

The game worked well for several weeks, but 3 times, after updates, the game doesn't launch: the Easy Anti-Cheat software launches, but when the loading ended, we all have the same error message:

"Launch Error - Failed to start game ( 2 )

We've all done some game repairs, reinstallations, and other checks for updates to drivers, Windows, etc., but nothing helped.

It turned out that the thing we all have in common is our anti-virus: webroot;

So we have concluded that there is a problem between Easy Anti-Cheat and Webroot; and that the only way to work around the problem is to uninstall Webroot.

On two occasions EA published a patch which fixed the problem (in 1 week the first time, and in 24 hours the second time), but since December 17, 2020 we are all unable to launch the game. We are aware that we are a minority affected by this problem, however we still hope that EA, Easy Anti-Cheat and Webroot will give us time to work on a lasting solution to this issue: we have bought a game which, for some, has been accompanied by investment in joystick, throttle and pedal, but which for a month have been sleeping in boxes just waiting to be used again.

Waiting for a response from you, I wish you a good week.

Best regards."

If all happens as for me, you should recieve a response that invited you to install an app : wsalogs.exe
It will generate a log and send it to Webroot.

After that a message will propose you to scheddule a phone meeting with an intervention of a technician. He sould uninstal your version of Webroot and install a new one.

I realy wish that will help you.

Message 63 of 76 (1,036 Views)

★★★★ Novice

So this isn't a fix, but I did find a work-around that at least lets me at least play single-player. This is from another EA thread:

3 weeks ago 

Grimnos13

I have the same problem until I read on a reddit post that someone figured out that the easyanticheat launcher was launching on both the Origin AND Epic games platform. He said by renaming the file "starwarssquadrons_launcher.exe" file  in Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\STAR WARS Squadrons you will be able to launch the game fine. However, I found out that by doing that you won't be able to play in Multiplayer since the game thinks you are not running easyanticheat and I got a leaver penalty because the game kicks me out to the lobby. I have tried going to the easyanticheat folder and reinstalling/repairing but did nothing. 

I have also opened a support ticket with both EA and Webroot. EA hasn't said anything in over a week. Hopefully Webroot will be more supportive (and responsive). 

Message 64 of 76 (968 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Message 65 of 76 (967 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

@gmr2048 Do you know if this issue only effects Epic Webroot users? Are Steam webroot players unaffected?

Message 66 of 76 (942 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@Malcom_BlackSorry, I don't know about the Steam version. I have the EA/Epic version. Somehow Epic sold the EA license...I dunno how that works. When I try to launch the program, both launchers open. It's weird.

Message 67 of 76 (878 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Got a not-very-helpful reply from Webroot:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Webroot Support.

Webroot has received reports of symptoms similar to those that you have reported. Your case has been brought to the attention of our Product Management and Development teams for review and further prioritization. We do not, however, have a timeline for resolution at this time.

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention as we continue to investigate these reports further.

Regards,

Webroot Support

Message 68 of 76 (878 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

At this point I've started just setting some time aside for when I want to play. I make sure I have my webroot keycode handy and then uninstall Webroot. I play Squadrons for a few hours then reinstall webroot when I'm done. It's a pain in the butt, but the webroot install and uninstall is fairly quick. I make sure I don't browse anywhere while webroot is uninstalled.

Message 69 of 76 (873 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This was my response from Webroot after opening a ticket and providing detailed information and uploading the requested logs:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Webroot Support and for uploading the logs.

Webroot has received reports of symptoms similar to those that you have reported. Your case has been brought to the attention of our Product Management and Development teams for review and further prioritization. We do not, however, have a timeline for resolution at this time.

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention as we continue to investigate these reports further.

Regards,

Andrew S
Global Escalation Team

Disappointing outcome.

Message 70 of 76 (868 Views)