1060 6gb

i5 6500

ssd SATA

16gb RAM

Message 21 of 45 (684 Views)

Re: Severe lag/stuttering around larger ships

★★ Apprentice

@momouk32 

So your processor is even faster than mine and I'm betting your RAM is a higher MHz too. I don't get crashes to desktop though (thankfully) but we both have SATA SSDs. It sure sounds like the ships are being re-loaded from disk on first flyby. I'm tempted to switch to an NVMe drive and see if that reduces the lag.

Playing on absolute minimum graphics doesn't really help the lag, I should add.

Message 22 of 45 (678 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Yeah. Just got a crash in flagship after first death, about 10 minutes into the match. 

A hitch, then a pause, then CTD

Message 23 of 45 (674 Views)

★★ Apprentice

It's interesting that the hitch doesn't seem tied to my physical presence around a large enemy ship. This time it happened in the hangar, while I was waiting for the countdown to respawn. 

I am still near a large ship in that case, of course; but I'm starting to wonder if there's a problem with a specific munition type that causes the hitch to trigger. E.g. if someone dropped proton bombs on a raider while I was in respawn. That could cause a hitch on the game server, and for whatever reason, my gameclient can 't handle it gracefully. 

I know of one other person whose game crashes fairly often, he's in the same geographical location as me (south africa). 

Leads me to believe that the hitch is caused by a physics bug in the client, causing desync between the party on the network side, lag dropping a few packets here and there, resulting in either a null physics object or looping request for data. In that case, the devs would have programmed the lagging client to crash instead of bringing the rest of the party down with it. 

I had a look at the mdmp (dump) files but didn't notice any error conditions listed (note that I've had 32 crash files created since I started playing after game launched. It's a major issue and needs to be addressed). 

I'm also not convinced it's a graphics problem, more a network thing, but I'm unable to diagnose it fully with the info available. 

Message 24 of 45 (654 Views)

★ Guide

i get this in the single player mate, dont think its network related........ but it could be

i noticed that when the round 1st starts and you have the cut scene of all the ships coming out of hyperspace, its a stutter fest for 3-4 seconds on rebels, but no stutters with empire, dont know if its related

iv just upgraded my GPU so ill report back if this has changed anything

MM

Message 25 of 45 (644 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Yeah it happens in single player, tutorial and practice modes for me too.

Message 26 of 45 (641 Views)

★ Guide

im sure its to do with the 'shield' effect, as its something only becomes visible at very close range, then the stutter occurs........... ?

MM

Message 27 of 45 (639 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Possibly, I feel like it's happened even after I've taken a big ships shields down though...

Message 28 of 45 (630 Views)

★ Guide

right mate, its different for me, it stutters the 1st time i go near the damn things, and then im sure it also will give a stutter when its destroyed........... and sometimes it will stutter when im no where near the ship as its destroyed.......

its an odd one either way hahaahahaha Wink

MM

Message 29 of 45 (624 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I've also had this issue-- it happens whenever I pass close to a Frigate or Cruiser, and sometimes when I pass close to a Corvette or Raider. I can also see a brief moment of stuttering in the Fleet Battles intro when the squadron passes by the allied Frigate/Cruiser.

I'm running the game in VR with an Index, through Steam.

My hardware setup is: 
i5-4690K with a stable overclock to 4.5Ghz.
AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT
16GB RAM
SSD

DxDiag and profile options attached with further info.

Edit to Add: @EA_Atic 

Another edit: This happens in both online Fleet Battles and Fleet Battles vs AI.

Message 30 of 45 (565 Views)