Re: Server connection to Dallas?

by RecklessKaos

Original Post

Server connection to Dallas?

★ Guide

I live Ohio. Run either Virginia or Iowa server. And game keep putting me in Dallas server with a horrible ping....why?

Message 1 of 6 (1,653 Views)

★★ Guide
@MrMuted Seems lately servers have been experiences spikes in ping. It typically selects the server with lowest ping when starting game. Before loading in to lobby, hit option to view data centers and see what the ping is on your normal servers. I live outside Dallas and usually play on Dallas server but sometimes when I startup it has a worse ping than Virginia or Iowa and get one of those instead.
Message 2 of 6 (1,638 Views)

★ Guide

Ping 31-34 for Iowa what I always click but it connects me to Dallas when try’s to join match ping around 60. Just trying to understand what to purpose of selecting a server if they going you half way across US

Message 3 of 6 (1,631 Views)

★★ Guide
@MrMuted Can't remember for sure, but back in the beginning it seemed very random how it picked your server. Then there was some optimization where it would pick lowest ping, even if it's not the closest to you. You have option to choose in case you have issues on server despite showing good ping.

As mentioned, lately there's been spikes. I can open game, have a good ping on main server. Then get a bad game with lag. Go back to main menu to check servers and my preferred now has a much higher ping than farther away alternatives...

Bigger picture there seems to be server issues in general lately. Lots of reports about lag. Latency and congestion spikes...

I play on PS4 and never noticed if it shows a different server per match than my initial selection at startup, but now I may keep an eye for that.
Message 4 of 6 (1,628 Views)

★ Guide

Well I can see we they put me cause I upgraded my router to a gaming one.  Has a built in map to show where you are connecting to. I watch it try connect Dallas. Then California. Then London. London?  Then get the code:leaf errors. Game connection fails. Then after router fighting with servers hut will hook me back to Iowa where my ping is around 20-26.  But dam wants my to be in Dallas for some reason 60ms. Shrug

Message 5 of 6 (1,616 Views)

★★ Guide
I'm starting to wonder if this isn't a result of something to did with the SBMM forcing connections to similar skill players despite the bad connection difference
Message 6 of 6 (1,597 Views)