Re: Season 3 - Game hangs randomly after Season 3 patch

by on3k1ss

Original Post

★★ Apprentice

Good news,

I see that our CPU bug was investigated and changed status to "Client Patch" and "Coming in future patch", so look like devs figured out the reason.

Lets cross our fingers and hope it won't take forever.

Message 21 of 77 (3,468 Views)

★★ Apprentice

From Scriptacus on Reddit yesterday, 10/8/19.

"We're working on it and hoping for tomorrow, but we can't rush the update at the risk of introducing new issues. The "fix" isn't the kind where you find an obvious bug, change a few variables, and it works. This particular bug involves timing issues in the job/thread queue getting hung up, which is an extremely low level system; any changes to it need to be carefully vetted and tested across as many hardware configurations as possible, which takes time. Ideally we would have a way for players to opt-in to "beta" builds for fixes like this (like Steam has), but unfortunately we don't have that capability at present. I know none of this information helps you or anyone experiencing the issue to crash less, but I do hope the added context and clarity reduces your frustration with how long it's taking."

Message 22 of 77 (3,466 Views)

★★★★ Novice

To fix this problem, you can either limit the number of cores in your bios to 4 or less, which I have verified to work over the past couple days without a single freeze. See more here https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Apex-Legends-Crash-no-error-PC-apex-crash-txt/td-p/776616...

Or if you don't want to completely eliminate half your processor cores for all your programs. You can narrow the limitation to just Apex by setting the affinity of the Origin.exe process in the Windows Task Manager to 4 or 5 cores as posted by @ELMONEEKERI69. I have not had a chance to thoroughly verify this method. See more here https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Apex-Legends-Crash-no-error-PC-apex-crash-txt/td-p/776616...

Message 23 of 77 (3,401 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

I've tested https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Apex-Legends-Crash-no-error-PC-apex-crash-txt/td-p/776616... Task Manager -> Set Affinity solution and can confirm that it works indeed. 15 games in row with zero crashs so far.

I prefer using this over turning off half of CPU cores though BIOS and suggest using this workaround until proper hotfix will be released.

Message 24 of 77 (3,322 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

latest Scriptacus post isn't so optimistic posted on reddit:

Scriptacus Respawn DEV7:

Nope, that wasn't the fix. We are still working on getting it out ASAP, but ran into a snag.

The post was written after the news that they will fix our problem in the next patch, so it's time to make 4 cores in bios ;D

Message 25 of 77 (3,241 Views)

★★ Novice

I have been having the same issue and it is not just intel. i am running:

CPU: AMD Thread ripper 2990WX

RAM : 128 GB

I am going to try and limit my Cores to see if this helps

Message 26 of 77 (3,212 Views)

★★★ Novice

ANOTHER VERY OPTYMISTIC  POST FROM SCRIPTACUS ON REDDIT o_0 Teeth bared

Scriptacus Respawn DEV4 points·3 hours ago

Honestly not sure at this point. Given that I don't have an ETA, I'll throw out one idea that one user reported fixed their issue. He said even though -maxthreads didn't work, he changed the number of cores available to Windows to 4 (in the windows settings) and he said that it resolved the issue for him. If you're feeling ambitious, you might give it a try. Here's a link on how to do it: https://smallbusiness.chron.com/set-number-cores-windows-29171.html

Message 27 of 77 (3,181 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Right, it seems that fix is not going to happen any time soon, so I've played around with affinity:

5 cores for origin.exe - 10 games, 1 crash

4 cores for origin.exe - 10 games, 0 crash

Also at this point, I can recognize the moment when the game should've been hung. Right before the hanging game freezes for a second or two, but then keeps running. Without 4 core affinity the game hangs at such moments with probability 99,9.

Message 28 of 77 (3,063 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Theodredd Happens to me on my PS4
The sound just cut off then the game freezes Idk what to do really
Message 29 of 77 (3,051 Views)

★★★ Novice

There is an easier way to close it without having to change the windows profile, just use ctrl+alt+delete and select task manager, the problem then is that Apex frozen window is always on top, so once you have selected the task manager, press alt+o and then select keep window ontop and then you can simply kill the program and still be in windows etc.

Message 30 of 77 (2,920 Views)