Screenshot is not functioning.

by iwillhauntu

Original Post

Screenshot is not functioning.

★ Apprentice

Screenshots do not work.  I have tried assigning different keys to the function but no screengrabs are possible.

Message 1 of 17 (5,359 Views)

Re: Screenshot is not functioning.

Hero (Retired)

for me it's hit prntscreen then the screenshots are in documents-Star Wars-The Old Republic -screenshots  open the folder and the shots are there 

Message 2 of 17 (5,343 Views)

Champion (Retired)

You will find that you are not running the game as administrator so what is happening is the game is requesting the creation of a file/folder to your Windows.. and your OS is simply saying "Who are you?... Do I know You?.. nope go away".

If you have Windows 10 click on the Folder Icon in your task bar down the bottom.

Now Select your PC account in the left column ie:dbWoodynz pc/ then Documents..

Ensure you have a "Star Wars - The Old Republic" folder which inside contains  a "Screenshots" folder.

(*if not Make them)

If not shut down your game completely and then go to your swtor folder and change these 3 exe's

Launcher.exe.

Bitraider.exe.

Swtor.exe (*Inside the Retail folder).

Simply Right click each one and via properties place a tick into the "Run as Admin" function.. apply/ok;

Now try your game again.

Enjoy

Message 3 of 17 (5,342 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

The screenshot folder has always been there.  How in hell do think I know I wasn't getting any screenshots? 

As for assigning administrator rights there is no Bitraider.exe.

Anyway,  having experimented both with and without admin rights assigned to the .exe it seems I get a screenshot every now and then.  It doesn't work correctly.  For one, it will never take a screenshot as soon as I hit the key.  I have to hit the key several times before I get one and then it seems about every 6 seconds it will take one (with repeated keystrokes).  If I let it sit, then again it takes several key presses before it takes the screen shot. 

This is no good.   Waiting so long misses the shot and with repeated presses every 5-6 seconds between captures is way too long.

Message 4 of 17 (5,313 Views)

★ Guide
Get a 3rd party software.
When adding SWTOR to your Steam Libary as a Non-Steam game and then launching it from there you can take screenshots using Steam.
Or a recording software such as Fraps or Bandicam work as well.
Message 5 of 17 (5,310 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Cntrl + Print Screen still works as a default windows screen grab, just load it up in 'Paint' (*Cntrl + V) and crop what you want at that point, name it as you see fit and pick your file extension.

Message 6 of 17 (5,301 Views)

★★ Apprentice

her is what i do when print screen does not work under programs accessories in the start menu there a program called snipping tool i place it on my task bar when print screen is broken just  alt +tab out of game and hit the snipping tool now you can basically capture swtor with it. Also i found deleting the dcreen shot out of the screen shot folder does help just copy them to a different folder.

Message 7 of 17 (5,297 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

"adding SWTOR to your Steam Libary as a Non-Steam game"

Totally forgot that you can do that.

Normally I use FRAPS but since I upgraded to Win10 from Win7 FRAPS just refuses to work.  It would be nice to have the native screenshot function work effectively, or get NVIDIA to include screenshots in Shadowplay.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder.  I am sure the Steam based solution will work just fine.

Message 8 of 17 (5,288 Views)

★ Guide

@drachehexe wrote:

"adding SWTOR to your Steam Libary as a Non-Steam game"

Totally forgot that you can do that.

Normally I use FRAPS but since I upgraded to Win10 from Win7 FRAPS just refuses to work.  It would be nice to have the native screenshot function work effectively, or get NVIDIA to include screenshots in Shadowplay.

ANyway, thanks or the reminder.  I am sure the Steam based solution will work just fine.

It has worked for me for the last 2 years using windows 7, 8.1 and 10.

Another andvantage is that you can upload the images with just one click without any other 3rd party software (or 4th party in this case).

Message 9 of 17 (5,282 Views)

★ Apprentice

Well, the Steam route is a no go.  I don't get it because that has worked for other games but not this one.  I have tried different settings and couldn't get it to work.

Anyway, I reinstalled FRAPS and it works now, I guess maybe the upgrade from Win7 to Win10 messed with it and it just needed a reinstall. 

Still, I kinda wish the native screen capture in the game was better.

As an added note I'd like to post a long list of bugs, is this the forum to do that?  I realize it will mostly fall on deaf ears because of the numerous bugs in the game that still exists from the original beta, but hey, I wanna get them outta my head.

Message 10 of 17 (5,267 Views)