Screen tearing at 60-75 Hz even when Freesync is on (PC)

by nextminnit

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Screen tearing at 60-75 Hz even when Freesync is on (PC)

★★★ Novice

I have a 75Hz monitor with the FPS capped at 74 using Radeon Chill and there is still screen tearing despite Freesync being on. The only thing that removes the tearing is turning on Vsync. In-game FPS limiter is set to 'monitor refresh rate', future frame rendering is on and using dx11. This was not always an issue, it only started some time in January-February, and does not occur in any other games.

Specs: RX 480 8GB (Driver 19.3.2), Ryzen 5 2600, Corsair Vengeance RAM 3000MHz, LG 24MP59G, game is running on HDD and latest version of Origin

Message 1 of 6 (6,520 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Screen tearing at 60-75 Hz even when Freesync is on (PC)

★★★ Novice
The monitor is factory overclocked to 75 Hz. Reinstalling GPU drivers did not work. I actually figured out the issue: the in-game FPS would go over 74 despite locking it with Radeon Chill, so I set Chill to 72 and the tearing is mostly gone. It would be very useful if DICE could implement an FPS slider, though, so we don't have to use external programs that are not as effective.

View in thread

Message 3 of 6 (6,444 Views)

All Replies

EA DICE Team

Have you tried to reinstall the GPU drivers? Did you overclock the monitor to achieve 74Hz? @nextminnit 

/Atic 

Message 2 of 6 (6,474 Views)

★★★ Novice
The monitor is factory overclocked to 75 Hz. Reinstalling GPU drivers did not work. I actually figured out the issue: the in-game FPS would go over 74 despite locking it with Radeon Chill, so I set Chill to 72 and the tearing is mostly gone. It would be very useful if DICE could implement an FPS slider, though, so we don't have to use external programs that are not as effective.
Message 3 of 6 (6,445 Views)

EA DICE Team
Great to hear you found a solution and I'll send that feedback on to the team. @nextminnit  

/Atic 
Message 4 of 6 (6,409 Views)

[ Edited ]

@nextminnit wrote:

@nextminnit  You can set a manual FPS limit in your BF5  user.cfg located in your BF5 game folder (my location C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield V) by adding the line: gametime.maxvariablefps 74

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Please mark a thread as solved if a post solves your issue.

EA Answers HQ Volunteer Forum Moderator

BF3, BF4, BF1, BFV DICE Friend tag awardee

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Twitter: Ragnarok013
Message 5 of 6 (6,404 Views)

★★★ Novice
I tried this method and, unfortunately, it resulted in mouse input lag. Using Chill currently has no effect on input lag.
Message 6 of 6 (6,355 Views)