SWtOR launcher won't open

by xCourtJesterx

Original Post

Accepted Solution

SWtOR launcher won't open

★★★★★ Novice

So, I posted this on the SWtOR website forums when I was still a subscriber and I got a single response, and the guy never got back to me. So hopefully this place will be better.

So, let's get this stuff out of the way first. I'm on an HP Envy 700 PC, stock not custom. I have TalkTalk internet, pretty decent connection. I've played SWtOR for about 3-4 years now (make give or take half a year since this started) and I use Norton security. I live in Scotland, in case that helps.

So, the problem started several months back. I got a hankering for some SWtOR again, so I tried to start up the launcher. No luck. Half a year later and I've tried reinstalling the game, booting my PC in safe mode, downloading LauncherRepairUtility and installing it, looking through the sysWOW64 folder and not finding what was indicated, I've tried removing the programme from my firewall and re-adding it, making sure it's allowed through, running as admin, running as guest, running as a rusting jackalope, all to no avail.

I want to play this game. I enjoy it. Could somebody please help me? I understand a full factory reset would probably be ideal, but I have a lot of * on this computer and I don't want to get rid of it all and have to reinstall Windows 10 all over again because that * takes FOREVER. So I want to use a factory reset only as an absolute last resort, like about to hit the ground last.

So, any help?

Message 1 of 25 (983 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: SWtOR launcher won't open

★★★★★ Novice

Yeah, that won't work for me, Proxos, because the launcher wouldn't open at all.

But it doesn't matter now. I did a reset on my computer, thankfully managed to keep my personal files, and upon downloading and installing the game again, I could play normally.

So, in case anybody else gets this problem: the only solution is to reset your PC. Apologies. 

View in thread

Message 25 of 25 (1,120 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@xCourtJesterx

I found your other thread

In the game folder is dated launcher logs are any being generated ?

With nortons (firewall) i do know the exceptions should be specifically set to allow as set to auto can auto block

Can you provide a dxdiag per this link 

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

Message 2 of 25 (961 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I cannot find any launcher logs. Like I said, I've tried to completely reinstall the game a couple of times. And when I say that, I mean I straight up delete the entire Electronic Arts folder to make sure it's a completely fresh install, so no launcher logs there.

As for the DxDiag, it's attached to this post. And I've checked my Norton firewall, it's set to allow the SWtOR launcher.

Message 3 of 25 (950 Views)

@xCourtJesterx

The video driver you have is from 2015, and the dxdiag is displaying Bccode 141 which is a video hardware/driver issue

I guess first is to update the driver with this link which is for your video card, make sure to select clean install

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 4 of 25 (945 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
I shall give that a shot and keep you posted with updates. Thanks for the suggestion!
Message 5 of 25 (943 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
So, I updated the driver and restarted my PC. I tried starting up SWtOR again, but still no luck.
Message 6 of 25 (932 Views)

@xCourtJesterx

Oh well the driver needed updating anyways

Have you taken the system to a clean boot per this link to see if the launcher appears ?

Also when starting the launcher , use right mouse click and start as administrator for now

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 7 of 25 (929 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Running as an administrator still does nothing. I'll try the clean boot, see if that works.

Message 8 of 25 (925 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Just did the clean boot, and the launcher still doesn't start up.

Message 9 of 25 (919 Views)

@xCourtJesterx

Another recent case of the launcher not appearing was found to be with that persons router , are you in a position to tether to a mobile just to test a different internet connection

just so it can be eliminated as a possible cause ?

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 10 of 25 (916 Views)