SWTOR crashing my computer

by WildFire-Ultra

Original Post

Re: SWTOR crashing my computer

EA Live QV Team

@wyvtw01fcbl2 Can you describe exactly what's happening? When and how often does this happen? Does the game itself crash or freeze up, or is it the whole PC? Do you see any error messages?

Message 11 of 17 (726 Views)

★★ Novice

Same problem for me and my dxdiag log is clean from errors... while you're playing windows 10 freeze randomly after about 30 minutes.

No log written in event viewer, no log written by swtor app, no overheat component. This happen to me on a fresh installed windows 10 creators with only AV installed (and disabling doesn't solve the problem)

Collecting data from web the problem happen more often on video card having 8GB of ram using dx9 app.

Message 12 of 17 (713 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Serwadion

Hate to say if your getting a complete system freeze with no error recorded it is very likely hardware 

Here is a recent thread link with a few players mentioning what they found as a cause for a game freeze

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

Message 13 of 17 (707 Views)

★★ Novice

Sadly, the only games that give these problem are the older one using dx9.

I checked the link but sadly I haven't any of these problem. Temperature is ok, disk is ok, no errors at all after reinstalling OS, in fact newer game work correctly.

I've yet my old windows 7 cdkey, so this evening I'll try to install it on another disk, but it's significant that many people using previous version of windows 10, once installed the new creators update had seriuos problem.

The last microsoft fix allowed to see more than 1GB vram by dx9 and use them, but didn't solved the random crash problem, in fact several people had yet many problem reading also Skyrim forums.

Before the last windows patch, with the same hardware I could play a whole day without any problem.

Message 14 of 17 (693 Views)

@Serwadion

There certainly has been issues with win 10 which is why it is important to have all updates

Known crash issues so far are was the one fixed in this link but it leaves a crash event in coremessaging.dll 

• Addressed issue with CoreMessaging.dll that may cause 32-bit apps to crash on the 64-bit version of the Windows OS.

There has also been an update specifically for dx9 performance released on 30 Nov 17 - see link 

• Addressed a performance regression when users run full-screen Microsoft DirectX 9 games and applications.

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 15 of 17 (690 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank you but two days ago I reinstalled and patched the OS from a fresh install. The last check I can do is install winwows 7/8.1 if nothing new would be found.

Message 16 of 17 (679 Views)

@Serwadion

I hope dropping back to win 7 helps, but if you find this occurring after 30 minutes of playing and no error recording, I do not hold much confidence it will help

Happy to be proven wrong though

Vram limitation you mention earlier I can understand it causing stuttering etc but it shouldn't be a cause of a game crash.

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 17 of 17 (674 Views)