Re: SWTOR crashing my computer

by proxos666

Original Post

Accepted Solution

SWTOR crashing my computer

★★ Novice

For the last couple of weeks, SWTOR has been crashing out my entire computer at seemingly random points as I've not been able to lock down a particular action in the game that causes it. I've tried updating and rolling back graphic drivers (nVidia GeForce GT 545), reinstalling and setting exceptions in my anti-virus (Avira), dropping graphical settings to minimum and fully reinstalling the game following a guide to 'install properly on Windows 10'. None of these have solved the problem and it seems restricted to just SWTOR as no other game, even graphically intense with lots of in-game physics, cause any issue.

When this first started, I thought it may be a HDD issue as the system crash was a blue screen for 'unexpected_storage_exception', but that wouldn't always come up when the game crashed (and didn't under any other circumstance). Most of the time the system crashed without giving any errors within about 30 minutes (though the time wasn't consistent), though I noticed the graphics card fan wasn't running as highly as it usually does while playing SWTOR (it's the only game I have which does that. Even games like DiRT Rally and Beam NG.Drive don't cause the fan to run high, but this could be down to poor optimization), so I rolled the graphics card drivers back and this allowed the game to run for nearly 2 hours before crashing (again inconsistent). I'm currently back to crashing within 30 minutes as I attempted to delete all graphics drivers that could be present on my system in case they were trying to override each other and now I'm on the latest nVidia driver.

I'm currently stuck without any idea as to what's really causing the issue. I don't believe it's overheating as I've been manually putting the graphics card fan to maximum yet the game still crashes and I'm not convinced its the HDD, even though I've noticed the game sometimes starts to fail to load objects before the crash happens, but again is restricted to just SWTOR.

My computer spec, an Alienware X51, is:

Intel Core i5-2320 processor 64 bit

Windows 10

8gb RAM

nVidia GeForce GT 545 graphics card

1tb HDD

Message 1 of 17 (7,845 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Novice

Well, found out what the problem was and it's a fairly silly and obvious one. I've got an Alienware X51, a small form factor machine and when the game started crashing my computer the first thing I did was hover the dust from inside the computer. Problem is I didn't go far enough as I literally just popped the side off, hovered and put it back on again.

This time I pulled out all the removable plates and compartments and found the GFX card heat sink was pretty well stuffed with dust. With the GFX card next to the hard drive, it's heat would transfer over and start causing it to struggle to load before the system crashed and then struggled to restart, so needed to be left off for a few minutes. It's obvious now, but initially it didn't make much sense, especially when it was only SWTOR 'causing/triggering' the crashes (though I put this mostly down to the Hero Engine).

So yes, if you have crashing issues potentially centered on SWTOR, make sure your computer's clear of dust first.

View in thread

Message 9 of 17 (8,766 Views)

All Replies

Hero

@WildFire-Ultra

In order to help determine the cause of the issue, the next time a crash occurs please attach a copy of your DxDiag Log.  Steps to do this are found here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“PATIENCE YOU MUST HAVE my young padawan”

– Yoda

Server: Satele Shan

Volunteer forum moderator, I do not work for EA / BW.
Message 2 of 17 (7,821 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

i have also had this problem with swtor crashing my computer

after pressing play the game would load to the Kotfe loading screen and then crashing my computer forcing me to shut it down.

here is my DxDiag file:

http://hastebin.com/obeteqikaf.tex 

i have also tried everything from the following read-only thread:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=516993

from reinstalling drivers to a clean reboot.

Message 3 of 17 (7,788 Views)

[ Edited ]

@ZiteMozes

The dxdiag shows the video driver is borked , do a clean install of the video driver

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

Message 4 of 17 (7,785 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

This issue continues to be strange. I spent all of last night trying to get the game to crash and it didn't. Played again today and it did crash, so here's the DxDiag:

http://hastebin.com/ticobehoya.tex

A quick glance didn't suggest anything to me. I've also tried removing all the drivers and installing afresh, for what it's worth.

Message 5 of 17 (7,760 Views)

@WildFire-Ultra

Would recommend disabling the Intel Video Card , also there has been large amount of issues with the Nvidia Driver 364.72 so either try using an older version or the Hotfix driver 364.96 (Link) it has fixes rolled into it not listed 

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 6 of 17 (7,736 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

@WildFire-Ultra

I would also go into add/remove programs and run repair on all versions of C++ installed 

I can see multiple crash points for Extensible Storage Engine (ESE) Esent.exe but nothing to indicate a cause , Esent is tied to C++

Other then that is a crash point for the Nvidia Monitor hence chnaging driver version

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 7 of 17 (7,731 Views)

★★ Novice

I tried both of these and the game still crashes. Here's an updated DxDiag:

http://hastebin.com/uxejafanat.tex

Message 8 of 17 (7,714 Views)

★★ Novice

Well, found out what the problem was and it's a fairly silly and obvious one. I've got an Alienware X51, a small form factor machine and when the game started crashing my computer the first thing I did was hover the dust from inside the computer. Problem is I didn't go far enough as I literally just popped the side off, hovered and put it back on again.

This time I pulled out all the removable plates and compartments and found the GFX card heat sink was pretty well stuffed with dust. With the GFX card next to the hard drive, it's heat would transfer over and start causing it to struggle to load before the system crashed and then struggled to restart, so needed to be left off for a few minutes. It's obvious now, but initially it didn't make much sense, especially when it was only SWTOR 'causing/triggering' the crashes (though I put this mostly down to the Hero Engine).

So yes, if you have crashing issues potentially centered on SWTOR, make sure your computer's clear of dust first.

Message 9 of 17 (8,767 Views)

★★ Novice

I have the same issues. Here is my dxdiag.

Message 10 of 17 (6,325 Views)