Re: SWTOR Android App Serial key Illegal Character

by GinsengSamurai

Original Post

Accepted Solution

SWTOR Android App Serial key Illegal Character

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hello...

Earlier today, I called EA support to get my key generator removed, since it was lost during our apartment move. I tried using the SWTOR Android app. Whenever I enter the number 9, which is one of the characters of my serial key, it will give me the following error: "The serial number has an illegal character."

I have searched for a solution to this issue, and the only answers given so far is to:

- uninstall and reinstall app = doesn't work.

- install the newest version = doesn't work.

- triple check that I didn't enter the wrong character, since an "i" is similar to an "l" or a "1"... Wink = absolutely definitely checked my serial key about a dozen times. I highly doubt entering "9" a different way will make a difference, because the error message literally comes on when I enter the number "9".

I already spoke to the EA customer support and he suggested the last one. He also suggested I use Google Authenticator, which unfortunately gives me the same issue. He said that no other customer has reported this issue. Yet, I have done a search here in the forums and found that this has been a problem.

Does anyone have an actual, real problem-solving solution to this issue?

PS: for those who don't know where you can find your SWTOR serial key, go to your SWTOR game properties in your Origin launcher.

Added for clarity:

Screenshot (Feb 2, 2020 10_32_21 AM).jpg

Message 1 of 5 (1,529 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]

@GinsengSamurai 

It asks for the serial number given to you by the setup process as detailed in the link i provided

Enter the serial number displayed on the screen at swtor.com into the security key app on your phone.

Enter that serial number not you game serial number

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (1,458 Views)

All Replies

@GinsengSamurai wrote:

Hello...

PS: for those who don't know where you can find your SWTOR serial key, go to your SWTOR game properties in your Origin launcher.

Umm this is not the serial to be entered in the security key 

use the directions at this link

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 2 of 5 (1,515 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@proxos666 wrote:

@GinsengSamurai wrote:

Hello...

Umm this is not the serial to be entered in the security key 

use the directions at this link

While I appreciate you even responding, unfortunately, you misread my original post. That link you provided has absolutely nothing to do with my issue. That link you provided is about the security key generation itself. My question is about the step before that, after installing the app on my phone, it asks for my game's serial number.

Screenshot (Feb 2, 2020 10_32_21 AM).jpg

A serial key is required to operate the security key generator. Without the game's serial key, you cannot use the app. Is that clear now?

Message 3 of 5 (1,472 Views)

[ Edited ]

@GinsengSamurai 

It asks for the serial number given to you by the setup process as detailed in the link i provided

Enter the serial number displayed on the screen at swtor.com into the security key app on your phone.

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 4 of 5 (1,459 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@proxos666 wrote:

@GinsengSamurai 

Sometimes, I feel I am becoming really stupid the older I get. That, or I wish there are more ways to differentiate the labels between things.

Thank you for making me read your link twice and actually solving my issue. The app works now.

Message 5 of 5 (1,446 Views)