Re: SW: Squadrons. Drifting with throttle axis. (HOTAS)

by EA_Atic

Original Post

SW: Squadrons. Drifting with throttle axis. (HOTAS)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I've been playing Star Wars: Squadrons with a joystick and throttle axis that I use with my flight simulators. It seems that it's impossible to use the drifting mechanic with this because the throttle overrides the drift's cut to engine. Is there anyway to fix this at all without having to basically get rid of my throttle axis? After trying to drift for about 20 minutes, I switched to keyboard and mouse once and was able to get it on the first attempt. 

Message 1 of 7 (593 Views)

★★ Guide
@Availingg Thanks for posting this; I thought it was me who couldn't figure this out. Seems like whomever the devs talked to about HOTAS and PC simulation hardware / simmers have no freakin' clue about anything and they never really QA'd any of this.
Message 2 of 7 (562 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I initially had this issue but kept playing with drift till I figured it out. 

overchage your engine.

press boost (not hold) when engine power is maxed. 
once boost is engaged double press boost to drift. 
turn your ship in any direction. 

you’ll know you got it when the boost lines coming at you start streaming across your screen at an angle. Another good indicator is your pilot giving an exclamation, “Yoowhooo!” For example. 

there is also a setting that allows you to change how the boost bottom behaves when drifting. 

there is another setting to allow your throttle to disengage boost if you reduce (move) the throttle while boosted. 

good luck! 

Message 3 of 7 (549 Views)

★ Novice

That's the same thing I've been trying. It's just the fact that with the throttle on an axis that it overrides the drift and won't allow me to do it. 

Message 4 of 7 (520 Views)

★★ Novice
@Availingg And I thought I was doing it wrong. Also using HOTAS and I have bound the explicit drift function (not combo) to a separate button. It doesn't do anything.
Message 5 of 7 (475 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Same issue here. I am going to try using Joy2Key to map SHIFT and SPACE to one of my throttle or stick inputs to see if that fixes it temporarily.

Message 6 of 7 (446 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

@Availingg on my X56 HOTAS set up, I noticed that I need to press the boost button twice while turning for it to work.

/Atic

Message 7 of 7 (403 Views)