Re: Origin Won't Launch on Windows 8

by 2020spike

Original Post

Re: Running Origin on Windows 8 Fix 5-6-13 "An unknown error has occurred. Please restart Origin and try again."

★★★ Newbie

@terrill12000 THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!  I know at thank you from some stranger means nothing! but your great.  what ever you do, your under appreciated!   

Message 31 of 76 (4,474 Views)

Re: Running Origin on Windows 8

★★★ Newbie

i can't even log in to my account on windows 8. it tells me there is an error. But with the same account i can log in on origins website

Message 32 of 76 (4,404 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Try this :

1) Right click on the installer.

2) You should see an option 'Run as an administrator' click on this.

It will bypass the UAC and all those rules that might block Origin to work.

If you are still having the same issue once it have been installed, you have the same option in "Compatibility" under 'Properties'

Message 33 of 76 (4,340 Views)

Re: Running Origin on Windows 8 Fix 5-6-13 "An unknown error has occurred. Please restart Origin and try again."

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hey... I've been trying to fix this issue on my pc for about a week now. And I can get as far as viewing my hidden files. But can you please please please walk me through the rest. I need help finding those files you have listed below. Any assistance you can give me will be much appreciated. Thanks

2. Delete the folder “C:\Users\(Your Personal Usernam)\AppData\Local\Origin” and “C:\Users\(Your Personal Usernam)\AppData\Roaming\Origin”.

3. Delete the folder "C:\ProgramData\Origin"

4. Restart Origin.

5. Now You Can Sign In

This will resovle the following Origin Error message "An unknown error has occurred. Please restart Origin and try again."

Message 34 of 76 (4,311 Views)

★★ Novice

I have the ALMOST the same problem as you people.

I have Windows 8 pro 64bit and I install Origin run as an Administrator. I used Compatibility mode and run as admin etc etc, BUT i can run Origin and I can log in. But i CANNOT see my games tab. I see only this http://prntscr.com/19vsim 

It's like running an old version of Origin but i am running the latest. I installed and uninstalled and reinstalled a thousand times. I disabled av/firewall and nothing. And the funny thing is that if I install Origin on my laptop with Windows 7, Origin is working great. 

What is going on????? What is it interfering with it???? 

Message 35 of 76 (3,997 Views)

★ Novice

Confusedmileysad:

Same thing I bought a windows 8 laptop same thing it works to install but one day I couldn't open it but its in my process

Message 36 of 76 (3,668 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Installed Origin on my Windows 8 Pro was fine. But the updater stopped and displayed a message that says origin has ecountered a problem. Clicked 'run as administrator' to re-install but still wasn't able to update. Worst of all, the origin for PC download link on Origin's webpage gives me a file that just could not be installed and had to download from the link given by one of the forummers to download the correct file for Origin.

And after looking through this thread I discovered that this problem stretches all the way to 2012. That's like decades to a pc game. Is the whole company of Origin sleeping while collecting salary at the same time?

UPDATE: Origin finally can update. I am using the Built in admin account in Win 8. Set Admin Approval Mode to enabled and set approval method to 'elevate without prompting'. Rebooted after that and origin was finally able to work. 

Message 37 of 76 (3,599 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Newbie

Have the same problem! Origin NEEDS to develop a patch.

Message 38 of 76 (3,571 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Right click on program.   Click on compatibility.   Choose Run in XP (service pack 3) mode.   Works for me!

Message 39 of 76 (3,406 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hey man, '  mass effect 3 doesn't work on win 8 pro 32 bit. When i double click  the me 3 it becomes busy and then nothing happens.

we gotta check what heck wrong with origin and me 3.

Aryan Bhan

Message 40 of 76 (3,382 Views)