Re: Regular stutter when selecting targets with Aactive buffs/effects

by JosiahLightwood

Original Post

@JosiahLightwood 

i dont notice any stutter ingame and i also dont really notice any major fps drop either though

I'll try the 60 fps video but it wont be tonight though its midnight here in australia 

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

Message 21 of 30 (975 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I can see the drops in the fps counter. There is a stutter at 00:30-00:32 as the most obvious. It's very hard to point them out in a 30 FPS video.

Here is my video recorded at 30 fps with vsync off. It's the same as yours. I also find the stutters to be less perceivable in game using these settings, especially because the frame rate is fluctuating rather than being a static VSYNC. I think if I got a Gsync monitor or a 144hz this would be an acceptable solution for me, but I currently just have a 60HZ 1080p.

Message 22 of 30 (972 Views)

@JosiahLightwood 

I was using 60 Hz as a refresh rate , i could engage gsync i guess and see what it does also if set at 144Hz

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 23 of 30 (968 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I think people are just very different in what they consider stutters or smooth. My partner just isn't phased by them. Even my first video, which demonstrates how I perceive my problem, they didn't see what the big deal was. xD

Message 24 of 30 (958 Views)

@JosiahLightwood 

The only time i have seen a pause effect is mounting speeders Standard smile

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 25 of 30 (954 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Tried capping it at 100fps with Nvidia Vsync Off. Much better. If I wasnt looking for the target stutters then I wouldn't notice them.

It seems that it's Vsync, or Windows Vsync in Windowed mode, that's causing the UI Target stutter to be much more obvious.

Message 26 of 30 (953 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@proxos666 Yes. I get these. DIsmounting a speeder stutters when the companion returns. Opening menus causes a stutter. Opening and closing the Map....
Message 27 of 30 (952 Views)

@JosiahLightwood 

That is definitely engine related for them , there is no fix per sey

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 28 of 30 (941 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

It's always the UI. Which is the same problem I'm having xD

I know you don't agree, but you're having the same problem (although it doesn't bother you, so problem isn't the right word, I guess). It's just not as obvious for some reason.

I can see it in your video categorically, and I'm pretty sure it would be even more visible on a 60FPS recorded 60FPS Vsynced setting, where deviations from a set frame rate would be far more obvious.

Perhaps it's the higher core clock on the 9900k helping bruteforce the UI calculation, or perhaps it's because you don't cap frame rate. There is a drop in frames on occasion when you target yourself. I could probably see it almost every time if the video was a higher frame rate (the recording, not the game).

If it turns out I'm wrong, then .... I'm done with the game, because I have no problems with any other, and I can't think of any other potential changes I can make to 100% fix it. I was hoping to help highlight a reproducible bug, because maybe it would be a quick fix to do with the polling rate on active effects. If you notice when you target yourself, the buffs have to quickly refresh there remaining time -- it's this moment that the stutter occurs.

Anyway, thanks for helping thus far. Hopefully you can do another video to help me nail it down, or help maybe identify if it is something on our three machines that's causing it to happen more prominently.

Message 29 of 30 (927 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I'm almost tempted to get a 9900KS and see if 5ghz (my CPU is 4.15ghz at load on one core) helps LOL. That could be an expensive test, though. xD

Message 30 of 30 (921 Views)