Re: Regular stutter when selecting targets with Aactive buffs/effects

by JosiahLightwood

Original Post

Regular stutter when selecting targets with Active buffs/effects

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Does anyone else notice this? Does it on both our PCs but wondering if maybe there's a way to fix it.

It's a slight half a second hitch/stutter.

When targeting myself when I have buffs (the more buffs/effects the worse it is), or anyone else, there is a stutter when the game polls the remaining time left on the effects. When I remove all my buffs there is no stutter when targeting myself.
Message 1 of 30 (935 Views)

@JosiahLightwood 

Can you post a dxdiag per this link for reference

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

Message 2 of 30 (879 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I'll do so as soon as I get home from work. Standard smile

I'm thinking it happens for everyone though. Tried on two different pcs, a laptop, and it happens to a friend.

Spin your character with the left or right arrow or drag the mouse whilst selecting and deselecting YOURSELF, whilst under the influence a few buffs that have time remaining. Upon selecting your character you should notice a small drop in frames. It's more obvious if you uncap the frame rate, but it happens when vsynced as well.

It's not exactly game breaking, and I expect a lot of people don't really notice or get bothered by it, because we don't really target our own character much. It does do it sometimes when targeting other players, though, who have buffs active as well.

All stutter related to this UI issue goes away when CTRL U is used to disable the interface.

SWTOR seems to have many stutter issues completely related to the UI. Such a shame, but I guess we just have to accept it.

Message 3 of 30 (864 Views)

@JosiahLightwood 

The  UI is based on what was scaleform - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scaleform_GFx

Autodesk have benched it now i believe after they purchased it, so support is limited to nonexistant now

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 4 of 30 (860 Views)

@JosiahLightwood 

if you happen to be Nvidia you can try seeing if the settings at this link help at all, also add low latency to on or ultra too

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 5 of 30 (824 Views)

★★★★ Novice

It does it for everyone. You can test yourself if you apply lots of buffs to your character, show FPS (ctrl shift f), and select and deselect your character a few times in a row. Do it in your stronghold or something whilst spinning your character left or right with the arrow keys to really make the stutter obvious. It's even worse with vsync off, as the FPS can drop from 200 to 150 in a split second.

I'd be happy to point out the stutter to anyone who says they can't see it if they record a video of themselves doing the above. Maybe then bioware will be able to help fix it? I'll try to record a video myself today to show anyone who doesn't understand what I'm trying to explain.

Literally every twitch stream I've watched has had the  same stutter when I've seen people target themselves to cast a heal or something.

Could you test it yourself?

Message 6 of 30 (815 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Here is a video. It does this on three different computers. A Ryzen 3600, RTX 2060 PC. A 9600k RTX 2060 PC and a i7 8700 laptop with 1050 Ti.

I have reported it on the bug forums as well.

Message 7 of 30 (806 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Message 8 of 30 (787 Views)

[ Edited ]

@JosiahLightwood 

I did try spinning with the keyboard with 6 buffs on me and selecting and deselecting, i maintained 157fps +/- 5 fps doing this for 60 seconds to be sure

I play in fullscreen window mode with custom profile in the nvidia profile if it matter

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 9 of 30 (777 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

My instinct says to not believe you, but I have no reason not to. I generally have no clue how it can do it on three different computers and I can point it out on twitch streams whenever someone targets themselves.

If I uncap my frame rate in a stronghold and run at 200 fps. Targetting my charcter with a few buffs, as above, will drop it to 150 for a brief moment. I use vsync though, so in the video it just drops to like 57.

I've even tried running the UI at default, in case it was some setting in my custom UI that was causing the issue.

As you seem to genuinely be helpful. Can you use the built in windows recorder to recreate the same video I just did?

Message 10 of 30 (769 Views)