Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Refreshing workaround: CPU is 100%, input lag(loss of control), graphics stutter

by yesaulTube

Original Post

Refreshing workaround: CPU is 100%, input lag(loss of control), graphics stutter

★★★ Guide

They merged it into a separate huge thread, but that barely did any difference except the visibility of it got lost.

Also, I recorded a video of the method and explanation what it does and what to look for when applying it.

Disclaimer: I don't know if this method will work with AMD GPUs. I think it will if you find a proper software to limit FPS

Explanation:

CPU load is directly related to FPS (in this game), which I have proof for in the above video. If CPU is always at 100% the FPS is not smooth. It fluctuates very significantly. Do not believe Origin or any other FPS indicator average number. In the video you will see that the FPS is all over the place if CPU is pegged at 100%. Not only you perceive these spikes as stutter, strained CPU doesn't have any enough room to process inputs properly. Hence, the input lag and loss of character control for prolonged periods of time. Once you have some room, these incidents will disappear.

Method:

The method is to limit the FPS until the CPU is about 80-90% to give it some room for very busy fights and so on. Originally, I was using Borderless + V-SYNC to limit FPS. Essentially, this was limiting my FPS to 60. If you have a higher refresh rate monitor, you might need to use a 3rd party software like RTSS that comes bundled with Afterburner, or NVIDIA Profile Inspector (for NVIDIA users). NVIDIA V-SYNC didn't work for me.

Symptoms.

a. The game takes a lot of CPU and the balance to GPU consumption seems wrong.

b. The game takes a lot of CPU even in menus and loading screens.

c. The game graphics stutters.

d. At times there is severe input lag that makes your character ignore keyboard and/or mouse input for several seconds at a time. During these periods it would do stupid things like walking into enemies, walls, off cliffs, charging skills even if you release corresponding buttons, etc.

Here are a few threads that I've been monitoring and for some of which this is a temporary solution.

Keyboard and Mouse Stuttering cut out

Mouse shuttering Input Lags Freezes

High GPU and CPU Usage in Anthem

Day 1 Patch Made Anthem Unplayably Broken

Here are couple of feed back posts:

Re: Day-1-Patch-Made-Anthem-Unplayably-Broken#1

Re: Day-1-Patch-Made-Anthem-Unplayably-Broken#2

I hope that it helps some of you to fix the game (temporarily) or might lead someone to a different and better solution. See you in the game.

Message 1 of 16 (1,665 Views)

Re: Refreshing workaround: CPU is 100%, input lag(loss of control), graphics stu

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I used nvidia profile inspector to limit my game to 50 fps and it is running much better now. As far as i can tell the graphics settings are absolute placebo and provide very little frames improvements and in general the motion blur option (when deactivated) makes the game "feel" much smoother

Edit: All the devs really need to do is put in an fps limiter option in game and improve the optimization on pcs around the board and this game will run much better

Message 2 of 16 (1,574 Views)

Re: Refreshing workaround: CPU is 100%, input lag(loss of control), graphics stu

★★★ Guide

@Kiintoh wrote:

I used nvidia profile inspector to limit my game to 50 fps and it is running much better now. As far as i can tell the graphics settings are absolute placebo and provide very little frames improvements and in general the motion blur option (when deactivated) makes the game "feel" much smoother

Edit: All the devs really need to do is put in an fps limiter option in game and improve the optimization on pcs around the board and this game will run much better

Apparently there is an FPS limiter in the game or it was supposed to be according to this post. E.g. command line argument: +fps_max 60 Regretfully, this did nothing for me.

Message 3 of 16 (1,543 Views)

★★★★ Novice

My dude!  

Finally something that worked!  Nvidia user and profile inspector fixed my stuttering.  Been in game a few hours now without any stutters, so hoping it lasts.

Thanks again!

Message 4 of 16 (1,522 Views)

★★★★ Novice
What are the settings you mentioned exactly? Can you please share them?
Message 5 of 16 (1,265 Views)

★★★ Guide

@Bobyslick10836 wrote:

I'm not sure whom you are addressing this question to. It really doesn't matter that much what settings you have. My golden middle is 45-50 FPS (capped as described in the OP). If the workaround works for you, low or ultra settings has very marginal difference (granted you have good GPU). Also, I settled on RTSS as a tool to limit FPS.

Message 6 of 16 (1,216 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

could be mentioned that limiting fps does nothing if your stutter is not gpu or cpu related. I get fps drops and stutter on my 2080 ti/8600k even when cpu and gpu utilization is below 60 percent. it is simply impossible to get a locked 60 fps for me (or a 50 fps for that matter) and simply rotating the camera causes my frame rate to drop. I have never encountered something similar in any game. 

Message 7 of 16 (1,185 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@yesaulTube wrote:

@Bobyslick10836 wrote:

I'm not sure whom you are addressing this question to. It really doesn't matter that much what settings you have. My golden middle is 45-50 FPS (capped as described in the OP). If the workaround works for you, low or ultra settings has very marginal difference (granted you have good GPU). Also, I settled on RTSS as a tool to limit FPS.

I was replying to @Rucktoe, might have clicked the quick reply button by mistake.

I managed to improve the stuttering after reading a random post where OP created a profile for Anthem in Nvidia CP and set the power to Adaptive instead of High Performace. Also, after a lot of reading I did instead of playing this damn game, I found that setting the Texture filtering to Performance instead of Quality, helped without losing textures or Quality overall. (Do not set it to High Performance or the game will look horrible even at Ultra settings). What also helped was increasing the pre rendered frames to 2 or higher. This helps to process more frames before displaying them on screen, thus resulting in a smoother experience at lower framerates, but increasing the input lag. As Anthem does not require skills to aim like a generic shooter, it shouldn't impact you too much.

Other thing I did is move the game from the SSD to HDD since I read a statement that Anthem does not know or can't handle paging file on a SSD? This is not confirmed and will also test it again on SSD with the settings I mentioned above.

Keep in mind that I am running on an lg 34 Ultrawide monitor and overclocked it to 75Hz. Game still drops under 60 nontheless and since there is absolutely no difference in performance from Ultra to Medium or High with the latest patch, I see no reason why not to have a better quality image after all.

My rig:

AMD Ryzen 1900x CPU

GTX 1080 TI FE by Strix

32 gb Kingston HyperX 3000Mhz

Let me know if you succeed in improving thing on your end. I would not call it "Solved solution" since this is merely a workaround destined to help create a better experience and eliminate as much stuttering as possible.

FYI: If you are running a Gsync monitor with 140 Hz or more, set Monitor technology to Gsync in CP, Vsync to Always off and in game borderless with Vsync Off. The monitor processor will eliminate all stuttering when framerates drop below 50, thus offering the best experience you can have in this game.

Let me know which of these findings helps you guys and reply back with more ideas you might have.

Happy gaming! Cheers!

Message 8 of 16 (1,120 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@Taggen86 wrote:

could be mentioned that limiting fps does nothing if your stutter is not gpu or cpu related. I get fps drops and stutter on my 2080 ti/8600k even when cpu and gpu utilization is below 60 percent. it is simply impossible to get a locked 60 fps for me (or a 50 fps for that matter) and simply rotating the camera causes my frame rate to drop. I have never encountered something similar in any game. 

Did you just do a cursory review and skip the whole section with symptoms? 

Message 9 of 16 (1,049 Views)

★★★★ Novice
I've tried a bunch of things, but this one work the best. Thanks for the tip @yesaulTube!
Message 10 of 16 (986 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help