Red Alert Remastered is reinstalling every start and not maintaining progress

by tufyhead

Original Post

Red Alert Remastered is reinstalling every start and not maintaining progress

★★ Novice

Hello,

I'm having an issue where Red Alert is acting like its a fresh install every time I start up.  Which I think is causing the other issues I'm running into:

1) Anything completed in one session, ie: a mission marked as completed in the missions select screen, bonus gallery unlocks, gaining access to the ant missions, etc does not persist between game sessions.  The exception is saved games, which I'm guessing is because they're stored in the separate location, those are working just fine.

2) Red Alert has an exceptionally long load time (around a minute) compared to Tiberium Dawn (about 10 seconds), which I'm thinking is because its actually doing an install instead of a boot?

3) Changes made in the options menu also don't persist between sessions, everything is back to defaults once the game loads.

The odd thing is I have zero issues with Tiberium Dawn, its only Red Alert.  I've done the file integrity check on Steam and I'm missing the same two files as a lot of other on here, but I haven't come across anyone saying they're having similar issues.  I've done a fresh install, still had the same problem, checked video card drivers.

I've already put too many hours into this childhood favorite it, so I've adapted by using the saved games and making a save right at the end of each completed mission, but it could be nice if the game would keep stuff tracked. I'm hoping that someone might have experienced something similar and can provide any help!  I tried to upload a video showing the issues I'm experiencing, but it didn't work, so I've uploaded it to youtube here, please let me know if there is any more information I can provide that will be helpful.  Thanks for your time and help Standard smile

Computer Specs:

Intel i7-4790K @4.00GHz 

24GB RAM

Windows 10 64bit

Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 Ti

Game is installed through steam and located on an external SSD.

Message 1 of 12 (1,392 Views)

Re: Red Alert Remastered is reinstalling every start and not maintaining progres

Community Manager
Hi @tufyhead,

That's odd for sure. Are the game and Origin installed on the same drive?
EACade
Message 2 of 12 (1,308 Views)

Re: Red Alert Remastered is reinstalling every start and not maintaining progres

★★ Novice

Hi Cade, 

Thanks for getting back!  The game is installed through steam but on an external SSD not on the main HDD.

Would that be causing an issue for Red Alert but not TD? 

Message 3 of 12 (1,301 Views)

Community Manager
Hi @tufyhead,

It's possible. I would try moving it to the same drive as the Steam install and see if this persists.
EACade
Message 4 of 12 (1,289 Views)

★★ Novice

@EA_Cade I moved the remaster over from the external SSD to the C: drive where Steam is installed, and its still having the same issues.  I haven't tried TD, but that was working fine.  RA is still doing the install opening cinematic, and not saving options or mission completion progress.

Message 5 of 12 (1,270 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am having the exact same problem through steam - also just on RA and not TD.

I completed the whole Soviey campaign yesterday and none of it has saved. Neither have my options (modern over legacy controls etc).

Goes through installation screen every time too

Message 6 of 12 (1,245 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@tufyhead 

@stid33 

Did this issue occur from the start? An issue like this has been reported on Steam that is directly related to too many savegames overflowing the available cloud sync space, due to the thumbnails that accompany the savegames being full-screen screenshots and taking way too much space.

The solution in that case is to delete your older savegames, which you can do from the Load Mission menu.

(tagging @EA_Cade just so he sees this too)

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 7 of 12 (1,240 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I assume it has been from the start as on the mission select it doesn't show even the 1st mission as complete but I will try your suggestion as have many saved missions from the campaigns. 

Message 8 of 12 (1,226 Views)

Hero

@stid33 

Hmm, that seems like a different issue, then. Check if there may be something like a virus scanner blocking the game from writing files or something.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 9 of 12 (1,211 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I just had my first success! The options have saved as has the progress of the completed 1st mission when I went back into the game (with no installation screen).

In addition to your advice, I also had to delete my TD saved games as the RA ones alone didn't work. 

I will let you know if I encounter any further problems but sadly looks like I need to redo these missions (I would recommend that anyone having this issue doesn't delete the last savepoint in each mission and see if that works to save the pain of redoing each from start!)

Thanks for your help Standard smile

Message 10 of 12 (1,203 Views)