Razer Raiju PS4 Controller issue PC Win10

by maj_glory

Original Post

Accepted Solution

★★★★ Novice

Running into one game play issue in Apex Legends involving my Razer Raiju PS4 controller.  (Here is the link to the controller for more info (https://support.razer.com/console/razer-raiju/))

Apex is using the XBox One game pad as the default solution with no option to disable the gamepad. (Games like BFV, The Division 2, etc. provide this option.)  It is awesome that

Apex provides different configurations i.e. South Paw, legacy, etc. However there is a strange compatibility issue Razer Raiju PS4 directional pad. The PS4 version of the Razer Raiju reverses the position of the Analog Stick and Directional pad (See link above). So when you attempt to use the directional pad for normal movement the following events happen:

Push the directional pad left  - Character moves left and the fire mode changes . 

Push the directional pad right - Character moves right then attempts to prepare a grenade.

Push the direction pad Forward - Character tries to move forward then Health bar selector pops up.

Push the direction pad down - Character moves back then there is a character action.

During the training session this is just an annoyance. However, in battle royal senario this issue is extremely problematic. The quick an ez fix is to simply disable the gamepad in-

game or set the keyboard with sole priority over the keybindings. Will this be addressed in future updates? 

Similar to my problems with Anthem... I have already reached out to Razer support for additional assistance and the pointed me back to Apex Support because I am able to play other games without any issues. 

Message 1 of 13 (16,166 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Razer Raiju PS4 Controller issue PC Win10

Champion

Alright DS4Windows is the software you need: http://ds4windows.com/

It has incredible functionality,

assigning games to specific profiles.

Macros.

how you want the touch pad to function.

gyro control enables you to use commands by moving the controller.

The setup:

Right click your windows button and select device manager.

Under human interface devices there will be a driver for the raiju controller, right click it and update.

Select browse my computer.

select from a list.

Now choose this driver:

Click next and follow the prompts so it updates the driver info.

Next:

Install DS4tools, once open you will be greeted with this window:

Follow step one then click finish once the install has finished.

At this point you can create your own button layout and profiles etc.

(remember to click the save profile icon to enable the profile.)

If you play with a mouse and controller you have to go to settings and select hide DS4 controller and then any buttons you set in your profile has to be a keyboard input.

You will get very bad stuttering in apex or conflicts in other games if you use controller input and mouse at the same time.

View in thread

Message 5 of 13 (16,125 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Novice

Just got off the phone with EA Support. They are now aware of directional pad incompatibility issue but there is no fix at this time. The rep stated that this concern would be escalated to the developers, but there is no timeline when this would be addressed. 

Next steps: 

Uninstalling Apex and firing up Division 2

Message 2 of 13 (16,143 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

Well its your lucky day cuz i have the same controller! :D

Alright with everything you said would you prefer to setup your controller so you can customise it how you see fit with any future games?

Message 3 of 13 (16,137 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Short answer... Yes! 

Message 4 of 13 (16,134 Views)

Champion

Alright DS4Windows is the software you need: http://ds4windows.com/

It has incredible functionality,

assigning games to specific profiles.

Macros.

how you want the touch pad to function.

gyro control enables you to use commands by moving the controller.

The setup:

Under human interface devices there will be a driver for the raiju controller, right click it and update.

select from a list.

Now choose this driver:

Next:

Install DS4tools, once open you will be greeted with this window:

Follow step one then click finish once the install has finished.

At this point you can create your own button layout and profiles etc.

(remember to click the save profile icon to enable the profile.)

If you play with a mouse and controller you have to go to settings and select hide DS4 controller and then any buttons you set in your profile has to be a keyboard input.

You will get very bad stuttering in apex or conflicts in other games if you use controller input and mouse at the same time.

Message 5 of 13 (16,126 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Here is the kicker, I normally use the Gamepad, Keyboard, and the mouse at the same time... Basically, game pad for movement, mouse for aiming/firing/ targeting, and the keyboard for any additional functions. 

Thanks for the feedback and the quick response! I am currently using Joytokey as my keyboard to gamepad emulator.... I will give this a shot and let you know. 

Thanks for the help! 

v/r,

mg

Message 6 of 13 (16,118 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

Np i use a few emulators before, but i like DS4 the most becuse of the features avaliable.

ill mark down the DS4 guide as a workaround solution because you can hide the controller from the game and only give apex the input you want.

Message 7 of 13 (16,115 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Tibber, 

I walked through your installation and even watched Galatis's install video... Here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uuVu93xfzM

According to his instructions the razer raiju should appear under the controllers tab. But it does not (See attached screen shots). I am sorry to report it does not appear this is a viable workaround. I will continue testing and circle back once I am done... 

Thanks,

mg

Message 8 of 13 (16,101 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Tibber,

Just for grins I attempted to setup a profile but it did not recognize the controller. Attached is a screen shot of the controller display. 

I am going to try to go in-game to see the impact... 

Message 9 of 13 (16,100 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Tibber! You are a scholar and a gentlemen! Here is what worked for me.

The solution in this case is to disable the razer driver. What tibber is doing first is tweaking the driver itself. So now the game does not see it. Tibber I just returned Anthem due to this issue. However, your solution now makes it playable.  EA owes you an Anthem sale Wink 

Solution: 

Here is what worked for me: 

The setup:

select from a list.

Now choose this driver:

Install Joytokey --- here is the link https://joytokey.net/en/

How to Install

Download "JoyToKey_en.zip" from the links below, and unzip it into any folder you like. Then, execute JoyToKey.exe.

NOTE: Some security software may show a warning when you execute JoyToKey.exe downloaded from joytokey.net, but you can safely ignore it. (If you are worried about the warning, you can download JoyToKey from CNET or Softpeda where the binary is double checked against computer virus before distribution)

Here is a video on how to use Joy2Key https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-42ZL24jE-E

Please NOTE: I do not use show all axes like the narrator mentions in the video. I use Stick X1 for my razer raiju.  (see attached screen shots)

Now I will test this configuration in a few other games like Destiny 2, Subnautica Zero, and Division 2 just to provide additional feedback. 

mg (New Apex disciple) 

Message 10 of 13 (16,096 Views)