Random single/twice per game stutter in apex?3080 Tried drivers 457.51>460.89

by wiseolddude

Original Post

Random single/twice per game stutter in apex?3080 Tried drivers 457.51>460.89

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Tried those drivers and inbetween.(with dducleaner)

They happen randomly once/rarely twice a game and sometimes I  get nothing at all.

Rig:3080,9900k,3200mhz 16gb,970 evo SSD 500gb.

Picture below is how the spike looks like every time it happens.On the live frametime graph ingame its 3 quick micro stutters when it happens but it looks like 1 singular frametime spike on MSI afterburner.(it's how I can tell it's the same stutter every time it happens)

This is with all overlays off,Maximum performance in NvidiaCP/high performance power mode selected.(temps also don't break 60c on both cpu/gpu)

Capture.PNG

Update:Also made another thread to see if I could get help from multiple sources and the conclusion is its either the GPU driver or the game or both. https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/reported-dpc-routine-with-latest-nvidia-driver-460-89-on-3080-high...

Used windows performance toolkit and the culprit is either  the gpu driver,the game or both.

UPDATE:At this point I firmly believe it's the anti cheat causing the issue.As to how I arrived to this conclusion is because I saw the exact same pattern frametime spike with the same rate of occurance in vermintide 2 which also uses the same anti cheat (Easy anti-cheat)

Message 1 of 34 (2,363 Views)

Re: Random single/twice per game stutter in apex?3080 Tried drivers 457.51>46

★ Pro
@wiseolddude could it be windows related like windows defender or something?
Message 2 of 34 (2,348 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I have no idea that's the thing.You would think it would be much more frequent if the anti virus was the cause tho not maybe once a game.

Message 3 of 34 (2,346 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@wiseolddude 

Looks like hiccups :D Have you turned on hardware accelerated GPU planning? Is XMP enabled in the BIOS? Which mainboard do you have? A BIOS update may be available. I also had a case with the new RTX 3000 series in which the downgrading to PCIe 3.0 fixed such an error.
Message 4 of 34 (2,341 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I'm on w10 1909 which doesnt have it.

XMP enabled.

Rog maximus hero XI bios 1005.I'm not really keen on updating bios tho...Last time I did my whole pc suffered so I had to go back.

Also pcie 3.0 is my default already.checked with gpu z

Also from what I can tell this issue started with my 3080 with the new drivers.On my old 1080ti on driver 442.59 had no issues.

Message 5 of 34 (2,325 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

@wiseolddude 

I strongly recommend that you update the BIOS, especially since the BIOS you are currently using is relatively old and therefore it cannot be guaranteed that the RTX 3080 will work properly. Your BIOS is from 09/28/2019. The latest is version 1802 which was released on 15/12/2020. I also recommend using the latest Windows version with the latest chipset driver. I am very confident that all of these will fix your problem.

By the way, loading the BIOS is very simple and unproblematic with Asus, it works via the UEFI.

BIOS:

Spoiler
Message 6 of 34 (2,321 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Updated to latest bios annnnd no change :/ and the only updates I see for 1909 is nothing.

Message 7 of 34 (2,290 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@wiseolddude 

You will need to upgrade or reinstall the latest version of Windows. What about the ME and chipset driver?

Message 8 of 34 (2,284 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Naa I'm not installing a beta OS and honestly I highly doubt that will fix the issue with apex.(too many complains about the latest w10 version)

As for the chipset driver I let windows download it for me because w10 is actually pretty good with downloading that stuff for you.Also I had no issues prior to these recent gpu drivers/new 3080

Message 9 of 34 (2,277 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@wiseolddude 

The choice is yours, without trying things you will likely not find the fault. From a distance here in the forum we can only give you tips and recommend things. However, you should know that the manufacturer's own motherboard drivers are essential and should always be maintained, especially with such a good motherboard.

Message 10 of 34 (2,258 Views)