Re: RTX 2080 Micro Stutter

by Konform103

Original Post

RTX 2080 Micro Stutter

★★★ Novice

Hello everyone,

So I'm sure this is already on here somewhere, but I've been doing a hell of a lot of searching without finding any luck. I have a top end rig that constantly gets micro stutter on Apex Legends and would do it on Black ops 4 when I was playing that.

My specs are:

EVGA RTX 2080 XC

i7-9700k (watercooled)

Corsair Vengeance 3000 MHz DD4 RAM

WD black m.2

Asus Swift PG278QR 165hz Gsync monitor

I've tried all sorts of fixes to include moving it over to my SSD, reinstalling/repairing game/ lowering to the lowest settings, running ILSC, turning GF experience off/uninstalling, and what I ended up doing last night was doing a fresh install of windows since i broke some stuff messing with the registry over this Standard smile I've also tried playing in fullscreen/ windowed/ and borderless. Disabling and re enabling gsync. Turning graphics card to run prefer maximum performance. I've also ran it with afterburner OSD and my highest frame time has been 13.8ms with all temps looking nice and cool and no signs of throttle. Has anyone found any sort of solution for this?

Link to vid of gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmicBxtcXFU

Message 1 of 11 (1,119 Views)

Community Manager

@Prisonsnack 

Just so we are on the same page:

"my highest frame time has been 13.8ms"

That equates to a minimum framerate of ~72 FPS

barry.png
Message 2 of 11 (1,095 Views)

★★★ Novice

I understand that based on what I’ve read but even when I frame dip on more graphically intensive games such as division 2 I don’t get a stutter. My game still appears smooth just with a lower frame rate. That’s why I’m trying to understand why it’s happening on this game with the hardware that I have. Is there a fix for this? 

Message 3 of 11 (1,083 Views)

Community Manager

@Prisonsnack 

• Vsync and G-Sync could be fighting each other, try turning off vsync if you have not already done so.
  • Disable any unnecessary background apps like FRAPS, Discord, streaming, torrents etc.
  • See if capping your framerate at various rates via Afterburner/Rivatuner or EVGA Precision or similar has an effect.

barry.png
Message 4 of 11 (1,029 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks for the reply. I usually run Vsync on in the NVCP with Gsync, and Vsync off in games to make everything nice and smooth. I've tried every possible combination of vsync and gsync on and off with the game settings and my NVCP. I've also resorted to throwing the game to 720p with all low settings and it was still stuttering. I've turned off all background programs again with no luck. I've reset windows about 4 times now along with trying multiple different drivers. And I have also tried frame capping to include setting it 160 fps on 165hz downclocking to 144hz and setting it to 120 and even 60hz with no results. Is there a known issue with RTX cards and this game? or should I keep digging into my own hardware?

Message 5 of 11 (1,014 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

how is the game in training mode?

Message 6 of 11 (1,008 Views)

★★★ Novice

It's the same and training and a regular match. 

Message 7 of 11 (998 Views)

★ Pro
Try jedec for ram 2666 downclock cpu to 3.2ghz on all cores disable turbo may want reset bios
Message 8 of 11 (982 Views)

★★★ Novice

Bios has been updated, is there a reason to do all this down clocking? I'm down to fix, but seems pointless that the game would force me to reduce speeds to make playable.

Message 9 of 11 (954 Views)

Community Manager

@Prisonsnack 

Running hardware at stock clock speeds can reduce peak FPS but also reduce frame time variability and so can improve perceptual smoothness of gameplay.

Try it out, it is reversible if you do not like the results.

barry.png
Message 10 of 11 (923 Views)