QtWebEngineProcess.exe process

by InspectahCax

Original Post

Re: QtWebEngineProcess.exe

★★ Guide

I had noticed a weird ghost panel on my desktop.  It blocks games from operating properly, so I have to adjust my screen.  Only started recently.  When I right click on my desktop I get the normal pop-up list, when I click on that area over the clock/speaker button display, it comes up with a "Reload" list.  Once I exit out of Origin, the issue went away.  Not sure if they are related.

Message 51 of 152 (3,791 Views)

Re: QtWebEngineProcess.exe process

★★★ Newbie

I too have issues whit the QtWebEngineProcess.

My heavier games have stopped working, and drops out.

Origin must fix this in a hurry.

DjankoDK

Message 52 of 152 (3,709 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I too had the weird ghost panels, but upgrading to the latest beta version got rid of it for me. They were extra annoying because I'd switch focus out of the game whenever I got a notification. Even turning off in-game and all notifications didn't help.

On a side note, there is a way to use the old Origin while retaining social functionality. Install the old version over the new, rename the folder the downgraded version is installed to from Origin\ to Origin2\ (or whatever), then re-run the installer back in regular mode to install the latest version alongside the older version. They'll both work, and because of some kind of shared assets or something, the old version will show friends list, chat, join game, store, achievements, etc., while still using just one process. You can tell there are shared assets because the store tab in the old version will show the updated store tab used in the newer version.

Hope this helps people out.

Message 53 of 152 (3,692 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

Hi everyone,

The ghost panels is something we are also aware of and investigating. However, this is a separate issue so let's try to keep this thread limited to the QtWebEngineProcess - also still under investigation.

Message 54 of 152 (3,659 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Since you, EA apparently are completely unable to fix your trashy Origin and its QtWebEngineProcess horror, I have a request: could you please make your games available thourgh Steam? Some are, I know, but I want to purchase Dragon Age Inquisition and of course, its impossible with your crappy "new and improved" Origin. By the way, you could also ask for advice to Steam on how to make a friendly, usefull and excellent piece of software.

Message 55 of 152 (3,528 Views)

★★★ Novice

Having the exact same issue. Steam is using 60MB total, whereas Origin and all its malware is using 1.2GB in RAM, without a single game running. QtWebEngineProcess.exe is using 600MB alone for absolutely nothing. I am literally not even looking at the UI, it's minimized.

Typical EA. I really shouldn't be surprised. I'm actually starting to regret buying my games from EA, too bad Dragon Age Inquisition isn't available on Steam.

Nonsense like this is why people pirate. Consider that next time you whine about profit loss.

Message 56 of 152 (3,499 Views)

EA DICE Team

Hello everyone,

I've got a small update here regarding the QtWebEngineProcess.

Every action that you take within Origin will increase the memory usage of this process. For example, if you browse through the store then the store information for each game will load, which increases memory usage. If you keep scrolling this means that you can get the memory usage up to extreme heights. This memory usage should drop when you go back to your Library or minimize the client to idle. This is similar to how a web browser works, except that some of them such as Chrome, load their memory for each tab into a new and separate process.

We are still looking into scenarios where the memory usage of the Origin process doesn't drop when returning to idling. If you experience this then a current workaround is to completely close the Origin client and to then click the game you want to play. The game will open and the Origin client will be left in an idle state with normal memory usage.

I understand that this might still be an inconvenience so we are at further methods of fine-tuning the process.

Message 57 of 152 (3,467 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Any news?

I get a pretty ridiculous 5% CPU usage from QtWebEngineProcess.exe and another 5% from Origin.exe when a game "detail screen" is open, even when the app is not in focus.  That's right... up to 10% of my CPU just to idle in the background.

For the record, I am not browsing anything - I launch Origin, then I launch a game.

Seriously.

For comparison when playing a video, Steam is 3%, and when the video is paused, close to 0%.

What are you guys doing?  I was a software engineer for 12 years... I can't believe this simple browser program can be so hard to get right.

Message 58 of 152 (3,297 Views)

★★★ Newbie

So are you guys going to fix this, or just remove that * completely?

Or do you guys pray that it will be forgotten and never mentioned again?

Random memory usage spike of up to a gigabyte or more and random CPU usage spikes of anywhere between 0% and 20% are completely unacceptable.

Let us remove that useless pile of dirt when we clearly didn't need it before, or let us use older versions of Origin that didn't have that "thing" implemented in the first place.

Because of this process i just randomly drop 10-30 frames in BF1 because it decides it suddenly needs a gig of ram and 1/5th of my CPU power.

Or can you please ask the devs behind this why they thought it was the second coming of Christ and that they immediately need to implement this buggy pos,

which apparently hasn't even been further developed since 2013 according to a user before me, and then tell us what magical things they had in mind with this?

I don't need a browser in Origin, believe it or not, i have a good one installed already.

The only thing I use Origin for is starting my game, and accepting game invites.

I don't need anything more than that!

So please tell me why it needs so many resources, doing absolutely nothing?

That thing is currently using more of my CPU and RAM idling, than BF1 uses while idling...

This has to be some sort of bad joke.

Message 59 of 152 (3,026 Views)

★ Novice

Had the same issue, that *ty crapware was eating 800MB of ram and 20% of my CPU with origin idle, I didnt have a single game running. 

I think I found a temporary fix until EA deals with this: do not start your games from the Origin client. It seems that when you select a game, it gets that nice visual animation and that is what's eating all the resources. To skip this, I'm starting the games directly via normal shortcuts, without going in the Origin client. 

This way, this *ty exe is only eating 100MB of ram and no CPU. 

Message 60 of 152 (2,725 Views)