Re: PvZ Garden Warfare 2 Not Launching on PC

by WootCandy

Original Post

[Old Report] PvZ Garden Warfare 2 Not Launching

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I recently got PvZ Garden Warfare 2, and had installed it. But upon launching it, nothing happened. The "Play" button darkened for a second and it seemed to try to load the game (the process briefly shows up in the Task Manager for not even a minute, then disappears) and fails. Origin reads me as playing the game, despite the lack of process for the game.

I've tried to repair the game multiple times, reinstall the game, install VC and directx directly from the folders provided by the game (both before and after repairing & reinstalling), restart my PC twice, update my drivers and set my Nvidia Global Settings to default just in case. I believe I do meet all the requirements for the game, maybe a bit moreso, but nothing seems to work for me to launch the game to play.

DxDiag.txt provided just in case.

I appreciate any help.

Message 1 of 10 (11,307 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

You may try the latest nvidia drivers, they are tad newer.  Tick "Clean Install" under advanced, this will default the global 3D properties, perhaps something is set it doesn't like.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

*edit* I see now you already reset defaults...  Also don't run GeForce Experience until at least until after you test because it changes some 3d props.

-----

Check your Documents folder for a PvZ2 config folder.

If it's worked before but recently quit, I'd try just renaming (or deleting) that entire folder it should default your settings.

Otherwise, you may try editing these lines:

\settings\PROF_SAVE_profile

Borderless:
GstRender.FullscreenMode 2

GstRender.FullscreenScreen 1

---------

Kill all the background apps you can.  Especially things that have overlays built-in like some GPU tools do.

Clean Boot if needed  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

**origin's overlay doesn't get along with other overlay software.  Disable it too for testing.

------

If all that fails but you still have a suspicion it's your GPU drivers.  I'd wipe them off with DDU in Safe Mode then fresh install the latest version again.  I'm not seeing anything in the DXDiag that specifically calls attention to the GPU drivers but it is the most common thing to cause issues.

(copy pasta incoming)
Uninstall from Control Panel (all nVidia drivers).
Restart into Safe Mode.
Run Display Driver Uninstaller.
Restart.
Install latest drivers.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

-My apologies if something is not right up there or I'm way off base... pretty rusty, I've not been around in awhile.

----

I might be wrong about this... but I seem to recall if you have Origin open you can launch an Origin game from it's .EXE provided Origin is open, online and working normally.  You may try that but I think that's basically what the origin launcher is doing anyways when you hit play.

Message 2 of 10 (11,237 Views)

★★ Novice

Appreciated. Though, however for the PvZ2 config folder, I've never opened the game before, no folder hinting to the game anywhere in my documents. I wonder if creating the folder would work, but I don't know what the folder's exact name is suppose to be.  Also if it's anything noteworthy, when I close Origin entirely and try to open the .EXE for PvZGW2, it doesn't launch Origin up, nor does it work trying to open both the "Main" and "Trial" exes from the game's directory.

I probably won't try to uninstall all my display drivers until it's absolutely the only thing to do.

Message 3 of 10 (11,222 Views)

Hero (Retired)

I see.  No I doubt creating the folder or using someone else's would work sadly.

If you haven't tried killing off running apps (especially GPU-tuner related apps as they often have overlays in them), I'd try that.

You may try contacting EA directly here:  Perhaps they have a better idea than me.

https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/

If you are looking for some more things to try, replace "Garden Warfare" with a game like Battlefield or Battlefront as they use the same engine and often can have similar errors and fixes.  I don't want to just start throwing completely off the wall things at you to try but if you are desperate and looking for something to try.... google should return lots of results for those games not launching than it does for GW2 due to them being much larger player base games.

----

I doubt you would like this idea... but I'll throw it out there.  You could partition your hard drive to make a bit of room for Win10, sign up for a free trial from Microsoft's website.  Dual-boot the PC 7+10.  You can reset the trial completely legally twice, so it'll last a good long while...  I know dirty idea but win10 does install quick and with some tweaks like ClassicShell/Start and gutting the consumer apps.. I like it.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Best of luck.

Message 4 of 10 (11,217 Views)

★★ Novice

Having looked it up way further, I found an exact same issue, but for Sims 4. Seems like it's a problem with KERNELBASE.DLL, and the safest ways to fix it didn't work. And with downloading it off a dll site out of the question, I guess i'm forced to just uninstall a bunch of games and then use my Windows 10 reservation (which I really don't want to; I've broken my drivers AND crashed an entire harddrive by using Windows 10 as intended.)

Thanks for the help anyways, I'll probably say if it worked or if it's a lost cause.

Message 5 of 10 (11,211 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

get latest nvidia drivers

Message 6 of 10 (8,420 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Run game from file location

Message 7 of 10 (8,296 Views)

★★★ Novice
@Runivali what did you do that fixed it?
Message 8 of 10 (4,642 Views)

★★ Novice

Sadly I don't recall what I did to fix it. But given my issue was with a Windows .dll file, I assume running System File Checker may fix it. I've also heard that making a new user profile on Windows can fix it as well.

Message 9 of 10 (4,623 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Runivali I got a fix, found out after 6 months, search for old files of origin on your pc and delete them.
Message 10 of 10 (666 Views)