Profanity filter

by TheUnderJakr

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Profanity filter

★★★★★ Novice

The profanity filter has gone overboard. The team we've had for the last 4 years, that is associated with twitch, twitter and instagram accounts is now profanity in 2021.  I understand the push to get racism and offensive comments out of the game, but you're punishing the 95% of us that don't offend anyone.  I've never been contacted about offending someone, so who determined the word reefer is profane?

Message 1 of 27 (3,804 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: why is my my real last name considered to have profanity in it

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

If your name is being flagged as profane and you would like to request it under review please submit the first and last name you're using here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/My-last-name-says-its-profanity-when-creating-a-player/m-...

If you do not want to provide your real name in public, please comment on the post on which EA Community Manager you've direct messaged it to. 

We'll share these examples to the team that handles the filter. 

Locking thread to direct everyone to the linked thread above. 

Blueberry.png

View in thread

Message 27 of 27 (2,851 Views)

All Replies

Re: Profanity filter

It can be associated with drugs so that must be why; the term profanity could be changed so something a little more broad

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Don't be sad, this is just how it works out sometimes
Message 2 of 27 (3,740 Views)

Re: Profanity filter

★★★★★ Novice

OK. How do we get the word Reefer off the banned word list? 

Message 3 of 27 (3,732 Views)

why is my my real last name considered to have profanity in it

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

for world of Chel I want to use my real last name but I can't because it is considered to have profanity in it

Message 4 of 27 (3,868 Views)

Community Manager
Hi @Tman3311,

It can happen for some names depending on the combination of letters for example. There have been others where the filter was overzealous in ensuring the profane does not make it into the games or exposed to the community.

If you can share more specifics, we'll note the feedback for the profanity filter.

- EA_Lanna
Lanna.png____________________________________________________________

*Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
*Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
*XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Please only DM me if I've asked you to, or in the case of highly sensitive content. General questions/issues/topics are best shared on the forum where others can take part/benefit from the responses/solutions/workarounds

Message 5 of 27 (3,852 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I faced the same issue when trying to create an EASHL club. The name of our club has been for the last two versions of the game "Isukin Opetuslapset". This time we are currently unable to have it as the system tells us "text contains profanity" For my knowledge there is no profanity in that name.

Message 6 of 27 (3,836 Views)

Community Manager

@Salamaaa97 

It's possible "suk" is what is causing the profanity notification.

Aljo.png
Message 7 of 27 (3,821 Views)

★★ Novice

the name I want to use is Opila which is my last name but I still don't see what may be wrong with it?

Message 8 of 27 (3,815 Views)

profanity in my last name

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

for world of Chel I want to use my real last name but I can't because it is considered to have profanity in it, the name that I want to use is Opila which is my actual last name and I don't see the issue with it.

Message 9 of 27 (3,758 Views)

Re: profanity in my last name

★★★ Apprentice

It wouldn't let me use the last name Lemp because of profanity. Lemp is a legit last name that you can find on ancestry.com and is the last name of a kid that was shot by police while sleeping in his home. I want to use it in memory of his murder, and did use it for about 6 months in NHL 20. In NHL 21 they've blacklisted it for some reason.

Message 10 of 27 (3,719 Views)