Re: Poor FPS performance and hangs - GTx1070

by EA_Atic

Original Post

Poor FPS performance and hangs - GTx1070

★★★ Newbie

Hi Team,

I have an AllienWare 17R4 model (I7 6700HQ, with a GTx 1070  - 8Gb).  I have this since 2018, and was able to play everything on it. 

I played a lot BF1 and BFV without any problems 1Q of 2019,  but due time constraints, I stayed away from playing a couple of months.

More recently, last 2 months I have been trying to play them again, but with no success..  Something went wrong and I am experiencing poor FPS performance (around 50 FPS) during the game (any mode),  and when things get more excited during the game (more activity, more enemies nearby,  shooting,  etc.. )  the screen just hangs,  FPS goes down to 5-10 FPS, for some seconds (2 to 5s).

and get back to a low rate of 50FPS,  but then its too late,  I was killed already by someone else.

Have been searching on forums, for possible solutions,  have found this forum,  followed some advice, like playing the game with PC restarted in clean boot mode,  but nothing helped.

Just to make it clearer, its not a network lagging issue.  AS the hangs and poor FPS performance also happens when playing BF in offline - single player mode.

Message 1 of 4 (352 Views)

EA DICE Team

Hey @samuelpizarro  thanks for the details! 

When you are playing do you see anything reaching 100% usage and how are your temps looking while playing? 

/Atic 

Message 2 of 4 (283 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi @EA_Atic 

Nope,  nothing reaches 100% while playing,  Actually,  it's the opposite.  When the "hangs" happen,  CPU drops down from 75%~80% avg to bellow 30%. 

Temp , I guess its a bit higher..  around 92 Celsius degrees, but I have no idea if this a high or not.  never had to worry about this before. 

I played with a second monitor this time,  with HWINFO , and perf-monitor opened in the 2nd screen, while was playing..  I have captured this screen-shoot attached. 

The valley, in CPU utilization matches exactly when the game "freezes" and FPS goes bellow 10. 

Thanks

Message 3 of 4 (247 Views)

EA DICE Team

Hello there @samuelpizarro  

Thanks for the screenshot it helps loads! Standard smile 

You are hitting the limit of the CPU, you are very close of hitting the max sealing of the CPU and you have reports of 99 and I'm assuming at that point is where the PC is shutting down the game. You can also see report of thermal throttling being reported that means the CPU is running to hot and will start to de clock its speed.  You average around 92C but you do spike up 100C and max temperature for that CPU is 100C per intels page

In other words your PC/laptop is running to hot and has effect on your performance and most likely shutting down your game. 

Make sure that there is no dust in the system and can be worth to have a cooling pad to help with the high tempts. 

/Atic 

Message 4 of 4 (220 Views)