Please update your Intel driver (crash before and after updates)

by Rhendyr

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Please update your Intel driver (crash before and after updates)

★★ Guide

Hello, I keep getting messages telling me to update my intel driver, I've updated both my intel and amd video drivers to their latest versions, yet it keeps giving me the same msg, then when I launch the game it crashes, regardless of the drivers installed, here are screenshots of the msg's. 

The first error, prior to updating

The second error, after updating to the most recent drivers

The crash message and how it looks on my screen

My DXDiag

Any help would be greatly appreciated, but, if I can't get this to work at all, I'll be seeking a refund/reversal of charges, though I'd 'really' like this game to work as it's all my 3 year old son has been able to talk about for weeks now. 

Thank you, 

-Steven H.

Message 1 of 16 (3,276 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: That mobile GPU is unlikely to satisfy anyone

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Well, I eventually got it to work. I went up to windows 10, to no avail, and the graphics drivers in win 10 was killing my Ark performance. So, I went down to Windows 8 and did a factory reset. In windows 8, (not 8.1), with Intel driver 9.17.10.2867 and AMD Radeon HD 8730m Driver 9.0.12.0 I can now get the game to load all the way through and connect to the servers. 

The problem now arises that it's not normally recognizing my keyboard/mouse. I've gotten it to recognize them twice now by following the nvidia steps from another thread, but it's finicky about taking and only actually works some of the time, then when the game is closed I have to start it all over again. This seems like such a wide spread and prolific problem that it's seeming like a glaring hole in the coding rather than just a few isolated incidences. 

UPDATE: Keyboard/Mouse fixAfter posting the above, I discovered that with those drivers, I could get it to recognize my mouse/keyboard by alt tabing out, and going to my device manager. at that point I double click my AMD Radeon under the Display Adapters tab. For some reason, that works, the game then recognizes my mouse/keyboard from then on. Problem solved, it is a SOFTWARE problem. 

View in thread

Message 13 of 16 (2,567 Views)

All Replies

Re: Please update your Intel driver (crash before and after updates)

★★ Guide

It should be noted, that DX Diag only shows my Intel HD 4000 integrated card. But I also in fact have a AMD Radeon HD 8730M, which is what the #2 is referring in the above screenshots for drivers. 

Message 2 of 16 (3,262 Views)

★★ Guide

And I've went to another driver, and still the same thing....

Another failed driver attempt.

Message 3 of 16 (3,247 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Seems odd that it's trying to run the game from your Intel card. I see Catalyst Control Panel in your task bar, are you able to set the game to run on "High Performance" or something?

Message 4 of 16 (3,243 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

It's not showing up as an option to optimize and change to high performance in my Radeon settings or my AMD Gaming Evolved panel, probably because it's never loaded up. 

I was using an outdated version of AMD graphics because I liked the way it ran Ark Survival Evolved, but it didn't come with Crimson/Raptr. It installed that after updating in an attempt to play this when I updated my drivers. The Catalyst Control Center  (bottom left on my task bar next to my task manager)  stopped working after the Windows 8.1 update and I never bothered to fix it because Ark was running great with that version of drivers (I had updated, but it was causing crashes, so I went back to my tried and true version). 

Message 5 of 16 (3,237 Views)

★★ Guide

So, I went to my device manager and disabled my Intel HD 4000 integrated card. When doing that, it no longer gives me the error message when loading the game, but it still gives me the "crash" msg that is posted in the original post stating that something quit working properly. 

Message 6 of 16 (3,231 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Ok, I've gotten it to the point to where it opens (disabled Intel card, run as Admin), to where the first screen is on, then it starts the EA logo/animation (the video will then show, sans sounds), but it's in a windowed version of the game, as soon as I click it, it attempts to expand and go full scree, when it does this, it gives me the above crash msg every time. 

Is there a way, without being in game, to make it to where it stays in the windowed version? Hopefully that will stop the crashing. 

Message 7 of 16 (3,216 Views)

Re: That mobile GPU is unlikely to satisfy anyone

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

You needed to reset your Windows primary video device to be the Radeon, right from the get-go, or the game wasn't going to work.  The quality of Intel hardware is too poor to rely on, and the error message about any driver problem for Intel's IGP is a red herring.  The launcher couldn't see your Radeon working, that's why the silly business about the driver appears. 

Meanwhile, to try to use that very low quality mobile Radeon (I actually was surprised by how poor it is), you have to set the very lowest screen resolution, and most of graphics settings all the way down to the bottom.  It likely won't be highly satisfactory, though. 

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-8730M-vs-Radeon-HD-5750

If the game still doesn't run, after that, you need the official customer support:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Answer-HQ/How-to-contact-a-Game-Advisor-using-the-new-EA-Help-page/m-p/2161...

Message 8 of 16 (3,186 Views)

Re: Just IGNORE your Intel IGP entirely

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

I've disabled the Intel, the Radeon (my laptop) has worked like a champ in a LOT of newer games. The problem now is that I can't get it past the video screen. As soon as I click on it, it resizes, and crashes. I've now uninstalled and have reinstalled, and am on about my 6 iteration of drivers for my AMD. 

So, with that problem, I can't get in game long enough to change any settings, to even make it stay windowed instead of going full screen. 

Message 9 of 16 (3,178 Views)

Re: Just IGNORE your Intel IGP entirely

Community Manager (retired)

Left-Alt + Enter should get you into Windowed mode if getting to Windowed is the problem.

Just note that Frostbite is a power-hungry engine and it might not run really well, if at all, on that card.

Message 10 of 16 (3,171 Views)