Playstation4 pre-order deluxe content for PSN sub-account?

by baseFS

Original Post

Re: Playstation4 pre-order deluxe content for PSN sub-account?

★ Apprentice

@GammaX6 You are right about EA not letting anyone know in advance about this restriction; but let's face it, knowing the restriction, would you (or anyone else with a sub-account) buy the deluxe content or the pre-order? Exactly. 

However, you are wrong on the manner in which the extra content is (or should be) distributed:

• In order to purchase a digital copy you need a PSN account to access the PS store.
  • In order to redeem your code provided with the physical copy you need a PSN account, again in order to access the PS store.
  • In order to play the game you need a PSN account.

The extra content (deluxe & pre-order) is tied to the main PSN account used in the store (not even the account used to initially launch the game), and the content is not available to the sub-accounts controlled by this main account (although it should be). It has nothing to do with the actual, physical PS4. You can create extra local users but they each require their own PSN account to play. These accounts would not be getting the extra content unless they too purchase it.

Also, keep in mind that the content is delivered in a form of gift packs meaning it can only consumed once per account.

The real issue is EA decision to take the easy way out on what should essentially be a simple technical issue - for a managed (sub-)account  lookup the eligibility for the extra content of the managing account. The only interesting case here is a sub-account that is converted to a main account, in which case it should not be marked eligible for the extra content without making the purchase directly but will retain the content if it claimed it while being a sub-account (this is consistent with the delivery method).

Message 31 of 46 (1,959 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I understand what you're trying to say and you haven't said anything new that I'm not aware of.

I stand still to my opinion as they haven't mentioned that in their description in the PSN Store.
And because of that, I think they should do something about it for those who weren't aware and add cautionary statement in the PSN store for future purchases.

The pre-order issue is also there. So, EA wanted us to pre-order the game multiple times just to get that content? I'm sorry, that doesn't make sense.

As for me, I have never used the account I purchased PvZGW2 to access the Deluxe Edition's content or play the game. I don't mind it if they revoked my Deluxe Edition privileges for that account and gave me a redeemable code to use for the other account instead.

To me, I think this would make everybody happy here. As I'm pretty sure there are many disappointed costumers by this decision (not only in the EA forums).

I'm only frustrated because the "accepted solution" is an introduction to a bigger problem.
That means, "Hey consumers, you're wrong, we're right. You get nothing. Oh, and we won't do anything about it. Enjoy your Deluxe Edition". Without showing any official document that states we're all wrong.

Also, don't get me wrong here. I don't hate EA or PopCap for all this. It's only this decision. I respect all the people who worked on this project.

Message 32 of 46 (1,949 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@GammaX6 We're in total agreement.

I think you missed the fact that I'm the OP and that I flat out rejected the so-called solution. I also pointed out (replying to @DeiSasori) that I think we're being ripped off here by EA.

However, I don't think it's a malicious, intentional or unsolvable problem.

I imagine that faced with the issue of preventing propagation of the DLC to ineligible users, someone at EA apparently decided that restricting the content to the main account is a good enough solution. I think they failed to realize that this game is played by many kids using sub-accounts (see many examples on this thread) and that this "solution" is going to * off many people (parents and kids). Also, some of us have multiple kids (each with their own sub-account) playing the game, making a solution in the form of delivering the content to just one (or the first) sub-account worthless as well.

My rather lengthy (and apparently unclear) post above was meant to point out that the problem isn't really a technical one. It's a simple enough matter to also restrict the content to the sub-accounts managed by the main account that purchased the DLC. 

I'm frustrated as well, as I'm sure many others are: EA need to issue a patch resolving the issue instead of insisting on their obviously broken solution, and no, pointing out the restriction on PSN doesn't cut it, sorry.

Message 33 of 46 (1,935 Views)

★★★★ Novice

In PlayStation Store now appears Deluxe content as Add-On for $9,95 (see attached) ¿What do you think about this? ¿Do you think that it is possible to buy this pack for the sub-accounts of my sons from my PSN main account, though that I have already buy the Deluxe edition?

Message 34 of 46 (1,882 Views)

★ Apprentice

@CptOx There's no way of knowing in advance. Here's my previous take on the matter earlier in this thread:

@baseFS wrote:

Interesting - and very bad approach to their customers.

Is there any reason to believe the 10$ deluxe upgrade DLC will behave any differently? After all the original deluxe pre-order was a bundle of the game and the deluxe upgrade DLC.

If the deluxe upgrade DLC is available to all accounts (main + sub) then the original purchase was a blatant ripoff. If it's still restricted to the main account then it's not an upgrade and is still a ripoff.

It's a bad treatment of their loyal users either way.

Message 35 of 46 (1,855 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@baseFS Thanks. I finally buy the add-on inside my sons sub-accounts with mobile pay, and they now can enjoy the packs, but I feel that I pay twice for the same thing. If I had known earlier, I would have bought the regular edition and then the add-ons. Thank you again for highlighting the problem.

Message 36 of 46 (1,844 Views)

★ Apprentice

@CptOx You mention sub-accounts (plural) - did you buy the add-on multiple times or did you buy it once (using a sub-account) and it was enough for all sub-accounts? 

I share your opinion that with prior knowledge I would have avoided the Deluxe pre-order and have opted for the Standard pre-order with the "upgrade" later. I can't help but wonder whether this omission was intentional or an oversight by EA. I previously brought up both options in this thread.

I find it very strange that we don't have any response (official or otherwise) from EA in this thread beyond the initial "solution", more so with this thread linked from the FAQ. 

Message 37 of 46 (1,839 Views)

★★ Novice

Today my daughter was asking where her deluxe imp was.  I came across this thread and have to say how unimpressed I am with the way EA/Popcap have handled this. 

Honestly, a sub-account is tied to the main account in such a way that there is really no potential for abuse.  I agree that if I purchase a Deluxe Edition, all the accounts which list the installed PS4 as the primary PS4 should benefit from the Deluxe bonus items.  Especially sub-accounts.

After reading through, and deciding that I needed to keep the peace in the house, I paid the $10 for the upgrade using the sub-account.  As I only have the one sub-account, I really don't know if it would apply to just the one that purchased it, or to all.  However, given the way the Deluxe was handled from the original pre-order, I suspect it would have to be the same idea - only the account purchasing the upgrade to Deluxe gets the items.

Message 38 of 46 (1,827 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@baseFS I can confirm that I needed to buy it twice, once for each account. I checked, before buying the second add-on, that the second sub-account was not access to the first sub-account add-on. I

Message 39 of 46 (1,817 Views)

★ Apprentice

@Gorantoth I totally agree - I don't think EA really thought this through.

For me, the problems right now are in the wording, it's still called "Plants vs. Zombies™ Garden Warfare 2: Deluxe Upgrade" when clearly it's not and also the lack of any solution to the pre-order content for sub-accounts.

I can only hope that the next patch will resolve the issue.

Message 40 of 46 (1,794 Views)