Pixelated Textures and extremely low FPS (10-20fps)

by HarmGsN

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Pixelated Textures and extremely low FPS (10-20fps)

★★★★ Novice

I have a similar problem as described in this thread: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/FPS-drop-to-10/m-p/10883091

Logging into Apex yesterday and loading into a game the textures are extremely pixelated and my framerate dropped to anywhere between 10 and 25fps.  I haven't changed a thing on this computer.  When I was done playing Wednesday night, I exited the game, locked the computer and went to bed.  Loading back in on Thursday I had this issue.  I've already tried the following:

1) Clean boot

2) Delete game and all associated files and reinstall via Origin

3) Download and install via Steam

4) Verify video drives are up-to-date - they weren't, tried both newer AND older drivers

5) Change all video settings in game to lowest

6) Disable shader cache in nVidia control panel, re-enable, reboot

7) "Reinstall" Easy Anti Cheat (per suggestions in other threads)

I'm fresh out of ideas as to what's causing this.  It wasn't anything I did on this computer, I even went so far as to restore a backup of the computer from 4 days ago to with no change in Apex behavior.  The issue seems isolated to only Apex as all of my other games I still get my normal frame rate (120fps - locked via GSync).

It's not a limitation of hardware (or, rather, shouldn't be...)

Intel i7-10700K

ASUS PRIME Z590-P

Gigabyte AORUS 3080Ti

32GB RAM

Win10 Pro 21H1

Samsung Odyssey G9 49" G-Sync

Any other thoughts, ideas, suggestions?  Was there a patch released sometime between when I was done playing late Wednesday night and Thursday afternoon?  That's the only variable I can think of at this point.  

Message 1 of 14 (5,482 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Pixelated Textures and extremely low FPS (10-20fps)

★★★★ Novice

Ok, I figured it out.  I have Citrix Workspace App installed.  The "Citrix AppProtection" service is the one doing this.  I disabled that one service, reboot and I'm back to around 280FPS.  Start that service and launch the game and the frame rate is in the trash.  Re-disable service and reboot again and I'm fine.  Multiple launches of the game after disabling the service and I'm running without issue.

So this isn't really an Apex issue, but it kinda is. Here's the description of the service that's problematic:

AppProtection software is designed to safeguard entry fields and prevent keylogging spyware from accessing password details and other sensitive information from users.

View in thread

Message 5 of 14 (5,343 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Novice

Update:  So... I disabled 14 specific services (from msconfig) and magically the game is fine.  Re-enabling them and the game is bork again.  I'm working on narrowing down which of the 14 is causing it, but here they are:

OpenVPN Agent

BattlEye Service

Easy Anti-Cheat

AppProtection Service (Citrix)

Intel Graphics Command Center (I don't Intel Graphics.. I have Nvidia)

Intel HD Graphics Control Panel (I don't Intel Graphics.. I have Nvidia)

NVIDIA LocalSystem Container

NVIDIA Display Container LS

Origin Web Helper Service

PnkBstrA

PowerPanel Personal Service (my UPS...)

PowerPanel Personal Service Monitor (UPS)

VPNInstallManager (Array Networks)

VPNService (Array Networks)

I'm going to try re-enabling one at a time until I can find which one causes the issue... but I'm curious if the other users with this problem have similar services...  (I'm thinking it's something to do with either the Intel HD graphics or Nvidia Containers.... if it's the latter then it's on NVidia to release a fix...)

Message 2 of 14 (5,466 Views)

EA DICE Team
How has it's been going? @HarmGsN

/Atic
Message 3 of 14 (5,422 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I haven't re-enabled the 14 services.  Everything is still running fine with those disabled.  I'll try re-enabling them one by one and validating when I have a chance.  I'll follow up here

Message 4 of 14 (5,400 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Ok, I figured it out.  I have Citrix Workspace App installed.  The "Citrix AppProtection" service is the one doing this.  I disabled that one service, reboot and I'm back to around 280FPS.  Start that service and launch the game and the frame rate is in the trash.  Re-disable service and reboot again and I'm fine.  Multiple launches of the game after disabling the service and I'm running without issue.

So this isn't really an Apex issue, but it kinda is. Here's the description of the service that's problematic:

AppProtection software is designed to safeguard entry fields and prevent keylogging spyware from accessing password details and other sensitive information from users.

Message 5 of 14 (5,344 Views)

★★★ Novice

Haven't logged into EA in a hot minute but wanted to THANK YOU for posting this!! 

Buddy of mine had the same issue and was frame locked at 10 fps.  This was the EXACT issue.  Killed the App Protection service and voila!!! Citrix still runs without it..

Thanks good sir!!!

Message 6 of 14 (5,326 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@HarmGsN Thank you so much for sharing this. I've been tearing large chunks of hair over this for a week now.
Message 7 of 14 (5,139 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

@HarmGsNThank you from me also!!
This was driving me insane from S11 launch. 10 Seasons and no performance issues until now, so I naturally thought it was Season 11.
It was 100% Citrix Workspace AppProtection service.
I disabled the service, rebooted Windows, problem went away.

Next time I format, I will not be ticking App Protection checkbox.

As an aside, for any Citrix Workspace & Origin users (specifically). The Origin overlay is bugged so you're unable to accept in-game requests. I switched over to Steam and problem not there. You could potentially use EA Desktop Beta or revert back to Citrix Receiver where the issue doesn't occur.

Apex and Citrix really don't get along nicely.

Message 8 of 14 (5,016 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Update: Citrix updated this app and this service (and thus solution) are no longer needed. The service has been removed and there is no longer an issue.
Message 9 of 14 (4,652 Views)

★★ Novice

You are amazing, had the same problem, not anymore. +99 XP

Message 10 of 14 (4,487 Views)