Re: Ping increase across not just SWTOR, but other EA games too

by proxos666

Original Post

Ping increase across not just SWTOR, but other EA games too

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

So starting yesterday my ping went up from the usual 32-40ms on Star Forge to 56-65ms. Even in Battlefront II, my default server is US Virginia (I’m east coast) and it always said 32-34ms, but now it shows 56ms. Also Battlefield V I’d have a 34 ping, now it’s at 60. But if I log onto World of Warcraft my ping is normal at 33-37ms. Even on Steam games my ping is normal. Speed tests on Ethernet and WiFi are giving me my full speeds of 100/10 (usually a tad higher) and pings between 15-24ms, which is normal. I ran a trace route to 159.153.66.222 and the first eight or nine hops are between 14-36ms (first hop for my router is 1ms like it should be), but once it reaches the zayo.com hops it goes up to 56-65ms. I contacted EA chat, they said tell my ISP (Spectrum) and they’ll fix it. I contacted Spectrum through chat and showed them the tracert and they said once it reaches zayo,com it’s out of their hands and they can’t do anything. This has happened a few times in the past two years, where it’d go up to 50 or 60ms. But it usually went away after not even a day, usually overnight. But it’s been a day and it’s still at 60ms. So I don’t know what the heck to do. Nothing changed on my end. Even restarted router and modem and my desktop and didn’t help. So what can be happening?

Message 1 of 4 (559 Views)

@StarWarsFreak212 

Tracerts "only" show the forward route and the return route can be different at every hop displayed.

now if a ping increases at a hop on the tracert it may not be that hop and could be the hop on the return path.

Now ping increases can occur for a number of reasons, such as a route somewhere else has failed and that traffic is now being redirected across those routers your packets take, this increased traffic can result in a sudden ping increase overnight for example.  if something like this then the ping can return to original timings as you say you found over the years.

otherwise if routing changes have occurred on the internet and the result for you is a 20 - 30 ms increase then nothing you say or do can fix it.

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

Message 2 of 4 (545 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

So it’s not on my end then? And I can’t fix it then? Just gonna have to wait and see if it fixes itself? It seems like it’s a problem on zayo.com though. That’s where it increases.

Message 3 of 4 (532 Views)

@StarWarsFreak212 

sounds like the link between zayo and whoever is before that , tracert does not show all routers so may not be that point and like i said return path could be someone else entirely.

try the free trial of www.wtfast.com see if it can reroute lower but at the end of the day 20ms increase for you should be negligible i play with a ping near 300ms from Australia

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

Message 4 of 4 (517 Views)