Performance issues

by Bolecone

Original Post

Performance issues

★★ Novice

I just started to play this game, but i have a lot of performance issues.

• After i play Season 5 intro, my screen becomes black for about 5 to 10 minutes. If i open task manager, Apex process uses 100% of disk. When the disk usage is near 0, i'm finally in the lobby, but after 5 seconds i get kicked out by code:net error. After this i can join the game normally. 
  • Every time i open the game, my settings keep resetting for no reason.
  • When i join a match, my fps drops from 120 to 20-30 in certain areas of the map, with all settings on low. I noticed that if i play for like 1 hour, i get stable fps around 70-80.

For the black screen problem i tried to start apex in windowed mode and it's still black.
In general, i tried to reinstall and install both origin and apex, repair the game, for like three times, but nothing changed.
I'm playing on PC.

Message 1 of 10 (682 Views)

Betreff: Performance issues

★★★★ Pro

Hey @Bolecone

your notebook is no longer the newest, but if you take care of it, install updates and defragment the hard drive, you should still have fun with it for a while. It would be much better to upgrade to an SSD. By reinstalling Windows in this case, your problem with Apex could solve itself. note that your notebook only has the most power when the power supply is connected.

When was the last time you defragmented your hard drive?

It sounds to me like you might have a problem with the internet. This could also be the reason why it takes so long to start the game.. are you connected over wifi?

Try  to disable fullscreen optimiziation.

Message 2 of 10 (635 Views)

★★ Novice

I know my pc is a bit older, but i don't have any problems running other "heavy" games on low settings to get stable fps.
I defragmented my pc two weeks ago because i had to reinstall windows.
Yes i'm connected over wifi, but for all games that i play except apex it is pretty good.
I'll try to reinstall apex and origin tomorrow again and try to disable fullscreen optimization.

Thank you for replying.

Message 3 of 10 (631 Views)

★★ Novice

Last night i reinstalled windows and defragmented my hdd, i installed origin and apex.

• The black screen error was resolved.
  • I needed to repair the game when i joined the first match, because when i was trying to pick any weapon, the game crashed because some .rpak file were missing. 
  • Fps are still dropping from 120 to 20-30.

I disabled fullscreen optimization too, but nothing changed.

Message 4 of 10 (580 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

Nice, we'll come closer :D

Please download HWINFO from the internet. Play some rounds until you have 30fps again, than look at your temps. Tell me your result (max. GPU&CPU temp) Standard smile

Message 5 of 10 (569 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I did a 20 minutes match and here are all temepratures:

• CPU: Max 96 °C,  Avg 70 °C
  • GPU: Max 80 °C, Avg 67 °C

Note: HWINFO interface shows me a warning status on my hdd.

Edit: warning status is caused by reallocated sectors count.

Message 6 of 10 (527 Views)

Community Manager

@Bolecone 

96 °C is pretty hot for a CPU. A lot of CPUs will start to throttle themselves when they get that hot, which might explain the performance issues you've been seeing. 

How's the airflow in your laptop? Is it sitting on a flat, cool surface? Are the fans able to bring in air? If they're blocked it might not be bringing in enough air to cool down the CPU. 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 7 of 10 (489 Views)

★★ Novice

My notebook it's on a cooling base and fans are okay, no blocking.
I have fps drop only when i play Apex, other games are fine on low to mid settings.

Message 8 of 10 (482 Views)

Community Manager

@Bolecone 

It's possible that Apex Legends is just hitting your CPU harder than other games you've been playing. If it's running hot it can definitely lead to performance drops because the CPU is likely going to throttle itself to cool down and prevent damage from the heat. 

Have you checked your BIOS to see if you can adjust the curve for the CPU fan speed? It might be worth trying to bump up the speed a bit to see if that helps cool it down better. 

/Kent 

Kent.png
Message 9 of 10 (442 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

@Boleconetemps are looking good. 96°C at max looks to hot for the first moment, but its a notebook with limited cooling abilitys... and your avg is by 70°C so its all good.

I watched some youtube videos, have a look:

Your hard drive is a little full. When was the last time you defraged it? Think of upgrading to an SSD. The prices are good at the moment. With high probability a clean install (with an ssd preferably) will resolv your problems.

Message 10 of 10 (373 Views)