Performance Display Values

by birdalert21

Original Post

Performance Display Values

★★ Novice

Hi everyone,

About two weeks ago I noticed in the performance display that my IN value started peaking around 60-80 at the beginning of the match, and then drops to 15-20 at the end. It slowly drops as more and more teams are eliminated. The OUT value, however, stays solid around 4-8. My latency does the same sort of thing, starts high around 70-90 (even though I'm connected to the closest possible server location) but then declines as teams are eliminated. Both of these cause stuttering and lagging at the beginning of the match, and then it slowly goes away. The weird thing is that when I'm in the drop ship these values are ok, but as more teams drop, and then I drop and get to the ground it rapidly increases and peaks.

So I have a few questions:

1. What exactly do the IN/OUT values mean? Are they related to my ISP or is it solely on the Respawn/EA server side?

2. Do those IN and OUT values have a major impact on stuttering or lag? Or is that only a latency/packet loss thing?

3. Why does it seems to be related to the other players in the game?

Specs:

Playing on PS4, wired connection, modem on bridge mode plugged into 3rd party router, all ports forwarded properly (unless I missed some).

Tried factory resetting the modem, router, uninstalling Apex, DMZ-ing my PS4, using VPN, manual DNS entry... nothing seems to take care of this.

Message 1 of 6 (5,966 Views)

Re: Performance Display Values

★★ Novice

Anyone?

Message 2 of 6 (5,886 Views)

★ Pro
@birdalert21
Performance Display is a new option that activates a panel that appears in the top right corner of your screen during a match.
The data displayed is as follows:

FPS – Frames Per Second, or how quickly your game is rendering frames
Latency – The time (in milliseconds) it takes for your game client to communicate to the server and back
Loss – Indicates the percentage of packet data lost per second on its way to or from the server
Choke – Indicates the percentage of packet data congestion on its way from the server
In/Out – The amount of data being sent from/to the server
source: https://www.dexerto.com/apex-legends/apex-legends-aftermarket-patch-notes-cross-play-legend-changes-...

I'm experiencing the same issue sometimes ping goes up to 150 then dropping to 60's at the end of game
Message 3 of 6 (5,868 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks for the reply. So if IN/OUT is data to and from the server then I'd assume a big discrepancy between values would indicate being out of sync with the server? It makes firefights at the start of the match almost unplayable on console.

I don't understand if the problem with stuttering is tied to those numbers, however. Is a high IN even good? Having the performance display is fine but I feel it hasn't been explained well enough, with examples of good vs. bad values, and how certain situations could be remedied.

Message 4 of 6 (5,860 Views)

★ Novice

I have the same problem, my connection and latency are fine but on apex it’s the exact same thing that you have have you managed to fix it?

Message 5 of 6 (5,619 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Has anyone managed to fix this I'm getting the same problem and a real inconsistency to the connections

Message 6 of 6 (85 Views)