Re: Packet loss??

by Dxshl

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Packet loss??

★★★★★ Novice

So, I am experiencing packet loss between 92 - 96, but with a ping between 45 to 55.

I have tried everything to lower the packet loss by port forwarding ports, turning off my WiFi and turning it back on, on my Xbox, finding all types of DNS to use and nothing seems to work or stay where it is. What I mean is, If I change my DNS over and over again then try testing network and statics, the info on network and statics will remain the same regardless of the DNS I use. So, after changing the DNS, I try to load up Apex Legends on my Xbox; my packet loss will go from 0 to 92 or 96, and my ping will stay pretty much the same as I said earlier. If the packet loss changes to 0, I noticed it won't stay like that forever. It'll show up for a little bit then go straight to 92-96. Because I would begin to lag like usual, I've gotten use to what my ping usually is that I will notice if it comes back or not.. I don't know what else to do. My latency usually stays at 60ms, I'm usually find at playing around that. Not with that packet loss though.

Message 1 of 12 (1,648 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager

@Dxshl 

That's probably the issue then. Wireless is unreliable and prone to disconnects/lag. Especially when the signal has to travel through walls and/or floors. This gets worse when there are other devices sharing the same connection. It's worse still when anyone is streaming media while you're playing. Until you get wired, or at a minimum, closer to the router, this will continue to happen. You can try changing the wireless channel you're using. That may help. Also, you could try opening the ports for FIFA. They are listed here: https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/opening-tcp-or-udp-ports-for-connection-issues/. You can get some help with this at www.portforward.com.

Aljo.png

View in thread

Message 4 of 12 (1,611 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hi there, @Dxshl.

Can you switch to a wired connection or is your router too far away?

Aljo.png
Message 2 of 12 (1,630 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@EA_Aljo The router is kinda far away from me.
Message 3 of 12 (1,614 Views)

Community Manager

@Dxshl 

That's probably the issue then. Wireless is unreliable and prone to disconnects/lag. Especially when the signal has to travel through walls and/or floors. This gets worse when there are other devices sharing the same connection. It's worse still when anyone is streaming media while you're playing. Until you get wired, or at a minimum, closer to the router, this will continue to happen. You can try changing the wireless channel you're using. That may help. Also, you could try opening the ports for FIFA. They are listed here: https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/opening-tcp-or-udp-ports-for-connection-issues/. You can get some help with this at www.portforward.com.

Aljo.png
Message 4 of 12 (1,612 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@EA_Aljo I know how to get everything set up to port forward the ports. But I don't know what numbers to put it in the blanks under start port, end port and target port, that is where I am having trouble.
Message 5 of 12 (1,579 Views)

Community Manager

@Dxshl 

www.portforward.com is a good place to get help with this. Basically though, when it's a range of numbers, you put the first one in the start port and the last one in the end port. If it's an individual port, that should be the target port.

Aljo.png
Message 6 of 12 (1,572 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@EA_Aljo Is it better to use udp or tcb ports as both or use one of them first then try the other?
Message 7 of 12 (1,548 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@Dxshl

You need to open both. As listed on the article showing which ports need to be opened. You can also get some good help with this at www.portforward.com.

I'm going to be heading out shortly here and I'll be gone for a couple days so if www.portforward.com isn't helping, try contacting your ISP. They'll be able to step you through this.

Aljo.png
Message 8 of 12 (1,545 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@EA_Aljo Thank you for your time. I am just trying to learn how to port forward, and see what I can do to improve the game. I will see what I can do.
Message 9 of 12 (1,539 Views)

Community Manager

@Dxshl 

Sounds good! If you get really stuck though, try your ISP as they should be able to step you through this or get them open for you. Good luck!

Aljo.png
Message 10 of 12 (1,525 Views)