Re: [PC] bfv.exe - system error

by ViolentMinds

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[PC] bfv.exe - system error

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Every time I launch battlefield V now since the newest update I keep getting this error message
"The program can't start because api-ms-win-core-path-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this."
All the steps I've tried doing are I've tried reinstalling the whole game, repairing and updating. I've also tried reinstalling/repairing microsoft visual studio 2015 and the latest version. Multiple computer restarts. I also updated my nvidia drivers from 418.81 to 418.91 which is the latest update from nvidia.(It wasn't happening on 418.81 until battlefield V updated) I already have Universal C Runtime in WIndows update (KB2999226) installed in my windows updates.

My specs

CPU: intel i7 8700k

GPU: RTX 2060 (EVGA)

MB: Asus PRIME Z370-A

RAM: 16 GB ddr4

STORAGE: 500GB SSD +  1 TB HDD

The game was launching just fine before this update and I wasn't getting any error messages. This error message pops up every time I launch the game now and I can just close it out and the game will still run and I can play it with no issues to my notice which is the weird thing. I was searching for others with similar issues and found out that the error I'm getting is only a file related to windows 8 users. I would still like to get this troubleshooted in-case problems in the future start happening. Will provide any other information if necessary

Message 1 of 8 (3,670 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I fixed it - check your DMs. I left you an email address if you need me to send the file.

Also, I forgot one part of the instructions.  Make sure to turn OFF "view hidden files and folders" in your folder options on both machines after you complete the copy and paste 

View in thread

Message 5 of 8 (3,473 Views)

All Replies

★ Novice

You're not the only one with this problem.  My buddy and I *just* completed the Windows 7 monthly rollup and new .Net update from Windows and now this error is popping up every time we start battlefield V.  He's on Windows 7 also.  And if you do a google search for "api-ms-win-core-path missing battlefield", yours is the only post that comes up, so no solutions in sight yet. 

I will probably try to make a post in the Battlefield V subreddit on Reddit to see if anyone else is getting the error as well.  May also get someone from Riot (hopefully a dev) who might see the post and look into the problem.  Best of luck getting it fixed.  It's irritating, but at least it doesn't seem to be affecting our ability to play the game.

Message 2 of 8 (3,614 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks for replying! Good to know I'm not the only one with this issue, hopefully that means it has a higher chance of getting fixed. Anyway I tried searching in regedit and found nothing as well as running a scan to repair windows system files in-case anything was missing or broken and everything is good on my end. I'm just gonna leave it alone for now because I'm sure the latest update is causing this problem. Also post the sub-reddit thread when you get a chance I'll thumb it up. If you find anything new be sure to let me know and thanks again.

Message 3 of 8 (3,604 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I did exactly the same thing.  Regedit scans - nothing.  System File Repair - nothing.  CC Cleaner - nothing. Origin repair game, nothing.  Buddy reinstalled the game, nothing.  I almost thought about rolling the machine back to a month ago, copying the .dll to another drive, etc. etc. and then just figured, "screw it."  Not worth the effort.  I'll just stay annoyed every time I start the game I guess.  Haven't received any feedback on my BFV subreddit post either.  Best of luck man - hope there's a solution some day.

Message 4 of 8 (3,522 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I fixed it - check your DMs. I left you an email address if you need me to send the file.

Also, I forgot one part of the instructions.  Make sure to turn OFF "view hidden files and folders" in your folder options on both machines after you complete the copy and paste 

Message 5 of 8 (3,474 Views)

★ Apprentice

PLEASE PM ME THE FIX OR POST IT. 

I just installed a new GeForce 2070 and suddenly I'm getting the error

Message 6 of 8 (3,462 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks for the fix! I'm gonna go ahead and mark your reply as the solution. If anyone in the future sees this Silverbeard50 sent me the missing file and I just copied it into my C:\Windows\System32 folder

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15drmaTRFCxS-WD5HJC2es1qod44mRiPU/view?usp=sharing

Make sure you turn on show hidden folders because the file is hidden

1. Went to START then in the search box, typed, "folder options"
  2. Went into Folder Options and then hit the "View" tab
  3. Check the button that says, "Show hidden files, folders, and drives:"   Click Apply, but don't close the window
  4. Go back to the start button and then computer, navigating your way to c:\windows\system32
  5. Open the .zip file and then extract api-ms-win-core-path-l1-1-0.dll into the system32 folder
  6.  When you're done just re-click the button don't show hidden files. Worked like a charm for me - no more error.
Message 7 of 8 (3,437 Views)

★★★ Novice

your link doesn't work anymore, can you please post a new one

Message 8 of 8 (2,448 Views)