[PC] NFS: Payback - Black Screen Of Death (FIX)

by OnSync

Original Post

[PC] NFS: Payback - Black Screen Of Death (FIX)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Hello!

I thought I'd share my info on how to fix the following issue. I contacted EA to see what "fixes" they would provide, but as usual they are the same old useless things that never fix anything.

This is an issue with many companies that just post very generic steps to "fix" anything these days. Disappointed

When it happens?

I've noticed that having my game on FULLSCREEN would cause the game to crash. Doesn't matter if I play the game or not. I tested by leaving the game to run on itself, and about after 10 min it crashed my PC. Tested this with Low/Ultra settings, the result is the same.

On windowed mode, the game used to crash just to desktop without causing BSOD.

What is the error?

The game doesn't give me any errors, as I've seen some people getting DirectX errors etc. Basically, if I'm lucky my game will only close/crash to desktop from fullscreen, but in most cases it just kills my whole GPU and keyboard --> forcing me to make a hard shut off.

How to fix this?

You are not required to change your game properties to "Launch as Admin" like EA support has provided, but feel free to have it there.

You can play the game on ULTRA if you feel like, DO NOT USE VSYNC. I noticed that VSYNC will cause FPS drops, I would also avoid motion blur setting just in case.

DO NOT set the game to FULLSCREEN!

Now since there are no other option to set the game to BORDERLESS, you are free to use my version of BorderlessWindowed application which will make your windowed game into "pseudo-fullscreen". Open the .zip file and extract it where you feel like. Launch the BorderlessWindowed.exe, make sure that the NFS: Payback is on the list:

Untitled.png

I would recommend using the "Hotkey" option, because "Auto" seem to affect some applications in a way that it will make them full screen, nothing major but just annoying to resize other apps.

This application will work for any other games that do not support borderless. You can also use any other tool that does the same function, this is just the one I use for NFS:P. 

[Removed - Admin.]

I have tested the game with the tool for over 8h (min), and I am almost done my game without any issues.

Side note:

I have a gaming community called "SAINTZ". Anyone interested to find non toxic community to play with is always welcome! Please take a look at our website SAINTZNOW.DE as well as feel free to add me on Steam, Origin, Uplay etc. and join our Discord channel.

I hope this helps! Wink

Message 1 of 2 (3,442 Views)

Re: [PC] NFS: Payback - Black Screen Of Death (FIX)

Community Manager

@OnSync

Thanks for posting.

While we do appreciate your willingness to help, we cannot have random archive files directly linked here so I have removed it.

Hope you understand why, thanks again.

barry.png
Message 2 of 2 (3,406 Views)