Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: [PC] Mass Effect: Andromeda Framerate Stutters

by ileikhorsies

Original Post

★★★★ Novice

G'day OwenBrooks,  

I play full screen. It seems after the latest update from windows I have no issues with stuttering and I can play 4K @60fps everything on ultra? WTF? I have not changed any drivers or oc'd system any more. 

Seems the problem has "magically" disappeared. Hope it doesn't come back! LOL. 

I'm loving this game now my problems are solved. Hope you are enjoying it too. 

I am running SLI - but scaling isn't that great. Although every little bit helps. Maybe I need a 1080Ti....

Message 11 of 21 (7,540 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hey Bud, I think i was having the same issue as you. I was at a constant 60fps  even in intense  scenes but sometimes whenever i'd go to a new area or load another save, it'd stutter like crazy and fps would massively drop. I re-installed the game several times but it still happened. But I just installed the game on an external drive  and it seemed to have fixed my stuttering. So hopefully this might help you or anyone else having this issue. 

Message 12 of 21 (7,046 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Is there no fix or workaround yet?

My rig

i7-5930K @ 4.4 GHz

16GB @ 2400

2x ASUS GTX 1080 STRIX @ (2050) boost

And my game will stutter everywhere, I am actually on the verge of giving up on this game and I am only upto EoS.

Message 13 of 21 (6,992 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

I too had the game running well before the patch (i7 4790k 16gig 980ti) - But after the patch performance went down very noticeably.

What helped me to a degree was these 2 things:

1) If you are using an nvidia gpu make sure you are using driver 378.92 (they were the 'game ready' drivers for ME:A and are still the best drivers for the game)

2) Run in borderless window in you games video output section

While doing these things helped - it still did not get overall performance back to where it was pre-patch, but at least seemed to make it somewhat better. I hope this helps some others out there too...

Personally (as i am only only 50% complete in my initial play through atm) i am going to wait it out for another couple of patches - but if you insist on playing the game in its current state these options may help Standard smile

Message 14 of 21 (6,942 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I also get random stuttering, quarter-second freezes, audio crackling etc. What's funny though is that sometimes I can load the game and it would run flawlessly for hours, regardless of which planets/locations I explore. Whenever I start the game, there's about a 50% chance that it won't load 'properly', and it would lead to immediate performance problems (changing in-game settings doesn't do anything to alleviate it).

Other open-world games (Fallout 4 with a ton of mods, Witcher 3 and Dragon Age: Inquisition) run with no problems whatsoever, and it's not as if my rig has problems running the game since, like I said before, it works flawlessly half of the time. Whenever the performance degrades and I quit the game, I notice my HDD going nuts, and checking the Resource Monitor shows that it's related to the pagefile, so it's gotta be a memory leak during the initial loading process or something similar.

Message 15 of 21 (6,923 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@natluthje wrote:

G'day OwenBrooks,  

@I play full screen. It seems after the latest update from windows I have no issues with stuttering and I can play 4K @60fps everything on ultra? WTF? I have not changed any drivers or oc'd system any more. 

Seems the problem has "magically" disappeared. Hope it doesn't come back! LOL. 

I'm loving this game now my problems are solved. Hope you are enjoying it too. 

I am running SLI - but scaling isn't that great. Although every little bit helps. Maybe I need a 1080Ti....

I just updated to Windows 10 Creators Update hoping it will solve the cut scene stutter issue. But unfortunately it did not for me. What I have noticed, is that it is not every scene in the sequence that stutters, only certain scenes will stutter when there is a cut scene sequence.

Message 16 of 21 (6,882 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Novice

go to the nvidia control panel, go to manage 3D settings, go to program settings, select mass effect andromeda or any other game with the same issue, scroll down to power management mode and change it to prefer maximum performance than click apply, i had the same issue with MEA battlefield 1 and titan fall 2 and this fixed it for me

Message 17 of 21 (19,344 Views)

Hero

I don't know if this is related, but since the game has no setting for tessellation quality, I think it's advisable to override tessellation quality in your GPU control panel. Lowering it to 4x reduced stutter on my hardware (Radeon R9 390) significantly with very little image quality loss.

I don't work for EA.

Message 18 of 21 (6,767 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I had the exact same problem as everyone else, major stuttering especially in Tempest, even though it was apparantly running at 45+ fps on high settings.

Changing graphics quality to medium and then low had no effect.

So i doubled my laptops RAM.

From 8gb to 16gb --------------- the Improvement is great. Defintely fixed the stuttering for me. Only had one frame stutter in about 3 hours since i installed the extra RAM.

HOWEVER!

This game is nowehere near the most graphically impressive game of the last 5 years yet it has got to be on of the most unoptimised games i have ever played. We shouldn't NEED 16gb of RAM to minimise stutters, thats ridiculous.

Assassins Creed Unity is Notorious for being very badly optimised, yet that game ran fairly smoothly for me back when i had 8GB of RAM.

MEA is far less impressive graphically yet even worse at optimisation.

Bottom line, extra RAM has fixed the problem - but its not something we should have to do. 8GB should be plenty to run a game without it stuttering every 5 mins.

Message 19 of 21 (6,174 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

"go to the nvidia control panel, go to manage 3D settings, go to program settings, select mass effect andromeda or any other game with the same issue, scroll down to power management mode and change it to prefer maximum performance than click apply, i had the same issue with MEA battlefield 1 and titan fall 2 and this fixed it for me"

This. Thank you so much. 

Message 20 of 21 (4,777 Views)

me-andromeda-fem

Keep your account safe

We'll make sure it's you by sending you a code for your trusted devices.

Learn more about Login Verification on EA Help

fifa-20-promo-splash

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help