Re: [PC] FPS stutter

by EA_Barry

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[PC] FPS stutter

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Please help me, I am completely out of ideas, I have tried everything I could think of and still having this issue. First of all, my laptop specs:

- Intel Core i5-7300HQ

- nVidia GTX 1050 2GB VRAM

- 12GB RAM dual-channel

Basically what happens is that, at random times during a game, the game freezes for a second and MSI Afterburner shows that I also experience a FPS drop, usually from 62-63 to 55-56. But it is noticeable because it's like a hiccup. I am also talking about 24p game modes, like TDM, I used to play on these modes without any issue but now this slowly freaks me out.

So as I said, I have tried everything I could think of.

- deleted Origin cache

- deleted Battlefield 1 folder in Documents

- tried with low video settings

- decreased the Resolution Scale to 85%

- reinstalled graphics drivers (in this case, I use an older nVidia 392.xx I think it is, because apparently my laptop's compatible only with the version uploaded on the Lenovo website)

- rolled back Windows 10 by using System Restore

- set BF1 to High Priority in Task Manager

- turned Origin in game off

- unparked my CPU cores (according to Unpark CPU software I had 2 cores parked lol, despite this, the game used to run normal before)

- defragmented my partitions

- used CCleaner to delete stuff not needed

- disabled GameBar and GameDVR

I don't know what else to do. I also have Motion Blur turned off, DirectX12 turned off, Vsync off and FPS capped at 62 in user.cfg.

Please help me.

Message 1 of 8 (1,037 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★★★ Apprentice

Yeah it was. You can lock this for now, I have bought a better laptop and it’s working better.

View in thread

Message 8 of 8 (925 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@kristalshards 

Something you should try is playing with your laptop plugged into the power and set the GPU power usage to maximum performance in the NVIDIA Control Panel.

NVIDIA Control Panel, 3D Settings, Manage 3D Settings, Power management mode - set to Prefer maximum performance, click apply.

Also in 3D Settings, Adjust settings with preview, Use my preference emphasising, set this all the way to the left for performance, click Apply at bottom right.

Let us know if this helps, thanks.

barry.png
Message 2 of 8 (1,017 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@EA_Barry - Hi, I’ve had Maximum Performance in nVidia already (and Pre-Rendered Frames set to 1) and it didn’t help. Not sure about the other solution, I will give it a try, but I am not sure what it does.

Do you have any idea why this issue could be caused? Do you have any other solutions?

Thanks for your time!

Message 3 of 8 (1,002 Views)

Community Manager

@kristalshards 

The performance/quality slider modifies how the GPU processes graphics so they can be prettier but with less FPS or if you prefer performance over visual quality you set the slider appropriately.

Thanks.

barry.png
Message 4 of 8 (985 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@EA_Barry - Thanks for the info. I have tried with both your suggestions and the game still looks like it’s stuttering, especially on maps like Empire’s Edge from what I’ve noticed. Do you have any other suggestions or what might have caused this? Do you think my laptop is not good enough to play the game?

Message 5 of 8 (977 Views)

Community Manager

@kristalshards 

Take a look at the in-game graphics options and try setting the Resolution Scale to something below 100, try 75% and see if that helps you, thanks.

barry.png
Message 6 of 8 (955 Views)

@kristalshards wrote:

@EA_Barry - Hi, I’ve had Maximum Performance in nVidia already (and Pre-Rendered Frames set to 1) and it didn’t help. Not sure about the other solution, I will give it a try, but I am not sure what it does.

Do you have any idea why this issue could be caused? Do you have any other solutions?

Thanks for your time!

@kristalshards is your PC set to maximum performance under the control panel power management options as well? It's normally set to balanced by default.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Please mark a thread as solved if a post solves your issue.

EA Answers HQ Volunteer Forum Moderator

BF3, BF4, BF1, BFV DICE Friend tag awardee

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Twitter: Ragnarok013
Message 7 of 8 (940 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Yeah it was. You can lock this for now, I have bought a better laptop and it’s working better.

Message 8 of 8 (926 Views)